Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 01:57 PM

Default How to deal with the ultra-lucky maniac?

We have all seen the guy who sits at your table, plays every hand, raises 75% of the time, hits every board and is up 50+BB inside 1/2 an hour. Now I know that if they stay they usually give everything back but they usually do not stay long enough for that and I would obviously prefer not to give it to them in the first place. I have tried only taking premium hands against them. I have tried being passive. I have tried being aggressive. No matter what tactics I use the results seem to be the same. How do you deal with this type of player?

For reference I play limit, full ring, 2-4 and 3-6.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: How to deal with the ultra-lucky maniac?

[ QUOTE ]
I have tried only taking premium hands against them. I have tried being passive. I have tried being aggressive. No matter what tactics I use the results seem to be the same. How do you deal with this type of player?

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you tried being more lucky? I've found that usually does the trick.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Have you tried being more lucky? I've found that usually does the trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you Goldman! Where was this advice 6 weeks ago during my downswing??? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2005, 02:24 PM

I was at sitting at a PL$25 table with 2 complete maniacs last night. They both were racking up the chips. I tried to make a move against one with AKK5 ss, and he two paired his A89J to throw all my hopes (and a reasonably sized stack) in the trash. It's no doubt that this guy will give all of that money back, so I'll be on the prowl tonight. One of the maniac's VPIP was at 68%, and anytime he folded a hand before the flop, I was really surprised.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:28 PM

I don't think there is a way to deal with them. You just buckle in for the ride or change tables.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tried to make a move against one with AKK5 ss, and he two paired his A89J to throw all my hopes (and a reasonably sized stack) in the trash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Making moves against maniacs with cards like that is just playing into their hands I think. There are few flops that you'll feel real comfortable with holding AKK5. I am no expert however and play quite tight preflop.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:31 PM

All kidding aside, since most pots will be jammed, you'll need to tighten up and play solid starting hands. To some extent, you can take advantage of the maniac when you have a strong hand by letting him do the betting for you, and then raising or check-raising him to trap opponents in the middle and build a large pot. It's going to be a high variance ride, though, and random luck will be the predominant factor that determines the winners. Buzz may reply and articulate a more thorough strategy.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:32 PM

I love chip-spewing maniacs. Been playing at too many 10-handed tables recently where no more than 2 people see a flop, or sometimes it even gets folded around to the big blind. Crazy.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:14 PM

In limit O8, I suspect that changing your strategy to try to capitalize is a bad idea.

In PLO8, I often change my approach drastically to accomodate a maniac. The implied odds in this type of situation go beyond the current hand; that is, the possibility of chipping up to bust a maniac with a big stack makes risky plays with short/medium stacks more appealing, particularly if these risky plays are against the maniac himself (putting chips where you'll get them later if you miss, advertising, etc.).

I frequently take long shots at chipping up with a maniac at the table with this in mind. However, these players are definitely the exception rather than the rule, so don't try to employ this advice very frequently.