Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 12:53 AM

Default ugh I want to puke

Live 100 max buy-in NL game. Currently 7 handed.

Hero has $310
Villain has around $400, raises about 50% of the time if he's the first in a hand, stabs at the flop if he has a small piece or a decent draw. I've seen him make some very bad calls on the river, but every time he's been the agressor late in a hand he's shown down very good holdings.

Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG raises to $10, 2 folds, Hero calls, 1 fold, Button calls, sb folds, bb calls.

Flop ($40)2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG bets $10, Hero raises to $30, 2 folds, UTG calls.

Turn ($100)3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG bets $30, Hero calls.

River ($160) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG gets a big lump in his throat and bets $200.

Hero...
Old 12-11-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: ugh I want to puke

based on your description of said player easy fold... right?
Old 12-11-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
River ($160) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG gets a big lump in his throat and bets $200.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand overbetting. Seriously, I'm new. Why would you do this? I'm starting to get the impression that overbetting the flop is a way of driving out draws and taking down the pot there, which I guess couples with raising strong holdings PF to build the pot first.

But as for overbetting on the river... why would you do this? Let's say you were OOP on this hand with AQ, would you play it the way Villain did? I think his turn donk indicates that he doesn't believe you have AA or KK, and by calling you've confirmed that. If I was him... why would I overbet the river? It really seems to me that the only people that will call an overbet have you beat.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:33 AM

bet more on the flop, you are giving him 4 to one on the flop. thats just bad. you wont find out where your at and give yourself a chance to fold a losing hand if enough isnt bet here. as said it looks like he may have flopped a set turned his boat so he doesnt have to worry about the flush and would have pushed on any river. unfortunately i think its a muck. what hand do you beat here that calls you all the way to the river.

mis read the post actually and am changing my thinking. i dont understand his 30$ bet on the turn. im really lost at this point. his over bet can mean so many things here. has he overbet then turned up the nuts or do his big bets usually mean weakness.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:49 AM

I think you need to rasie more on the flop...I'd pot it at $50.

His whole line seems like AK of clubs that is trying to represent a completely missed draw and get a call from a Q. Esp since he seems to be a LAG, I'd say call. I think its close though, as 22 and QQ could be possible. Interested to hear how others read this play.