Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Re: River AQ

I think this is a pretty easy preflop raise. 3 limpers from the latter half of the table? Me have AQo on the button? Raise her up.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I limp preflop now.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Old 11-13-2005, 03:21 AM

Entity will come by with his pokerstove sims and show why but he convinced me awhile back. This is 10/20 so the chance they have absolute crap goes down a bit, and they will play a bit better postflop. By bloating the pot we make it really easy for them to play correctly later and we don't have that big of an equity edge with big offsuit cards in a multiway pot. We already have the button so no need to buy it.

-DeathDonkey
Old 11-13-2005, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a pretty easy preflop raise. 3 limpers from the latter half of the table? Me have AQo on the button? Raise her up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's not easy and it ends up being rather close if you start to analyze. It's something I would mix up.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:05 AM

What about knocking out the blinds or taking a free card on the flop? One argument I can think of against raising is that there isn't much of a difference between 4 players and 6 players when you have AQo.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I limp preflop now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woah woah woah woah woah. Not saying that you are wrong, but the 2+2 resident LAG did not just say this. Hell you would raise 54s in this spot but not AQo? Don't know how to play a hand as strong as a flopped pair of aces I'm guessing? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In all reality I see the merit to this play (it is basically like an SNG strategy where passing up on a +EV spot is okay if you can exploit bigger edges later) though I feel like our edge here is too big against bad player who will limp crap. Against people who are limping in with good hands I totally agree with you.

Brad
Old 11-13-2005, 04:48 AM

Turn looks to me like Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] x [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (x=J?) or QT (I woulda said A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] x [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] except the deck should only have one A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]). Spade draw got there, QT didn't. I think I raise the river because I expect QT a lot of the time and it will certainly pay off, plus sometimes people don't reraise with the second-nut flush (though that's a longshot).

I didn't think super-hard about this or anything. Sorry.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's not easy and it ends up being rather close if you start to analyze. It's something I would mix up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! Tell them Jason!! Where is Entity with his pokerstove skills?
Old 11-13-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could find the thread, but there was a thread a few weeks back about AQo in the big blind against 4 limps. I advocated not raising for equity reasons because of position and the fact that we have offsuit cards that lose value multiway. I was pummelled mercilessly. Ok, so I wasn't pummelled mercilessly, but I was convinced by well respected posters (W. Deranged maybe?) that our equity edge is appreciable (although not giant). Against reasonable non-random limping hands like small pocket, suited connectors, suited aces, etc, we have about 25% equity 5 handed, a significant overlay. Add to this the chance to knock out the blinds and potentially see a 4 card flop, or bet the flop and freecard the turn, and the chance to correctly draw to gutshot broadway flops (KJx, KTx, JTx), and I just feel like I have to raise here. Seriously, what's the difference between not raising AKo here and not raising AQo? And would you ever not raise AKo from the button after 3 limpers from the back half of the table?

I would like to hear the arguments for sometimes limping though. Maybe I'm missing the boat.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:48 PM

They will often have semicrap still and look at their positions, a limped pot all around is exactly what they are hoping for, why give it to them ?

It is true that they may lose less money after the flop, but I dont think itīs enough of a difference to make up for missing the preflop equity here.

You would have a better argument if you were in one of the blinds imo or you had some kind of idea that someone would be a likely better if the pot was unraised.