Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Beating pf to death

[ QUOTE ]
What makes AJ so much better than AQ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry if I came off confusing, but I said I'd raise AQ and not AJ. My bad though, I thought the original post said 4 limpers. I would still raise AJo here too.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:37 PM

Overcards prefer a small number of players. If you have the chance to trim the field with any of these hands, then do so.

If I am in the big blind and I the first three players are passive, then of course I am going to limp in with any of my marginal holdings. That is the game.

You should take the pre-flop edge when you are likely to have the best of it.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i believe this all comes from a HPFAP section that discusses limping this hand - after good players.

the guys you describe are not good, and you should take advantage of this with a great hand. i would still raise AJo behind these guys. i'd limp ATo.

i would raise T9s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Miles
Is it just the quality of opponent or do you take into account the number of limpers?
ie. Same quality, but 5 limpers?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:42 PM

Quality matters, but not as much as the number of limpers increases. Also, there is something to be said for keeping the pot smaller preflop to protect your hand on the flop.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Overcards prefer a small number of players. If you have the chance to trim the field with any of these hands, then do so.

If I am in the big blind and I the first three players are passive, then of course I am going to limp in with any of my marginal holdings. That is the game. It does not mean you should take the edge when you are likely to have the best of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is often repeated but not often understood around these parts. What's so bad about raising strong holdings like AQ in LP (or EP for that matter) against loose players? Are you saying that our pot equity edge isn't large enough to raise; and that the latter would make this hand more difficult to play in subsequent streets?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This one came up today...

3 limpers (marginally loose, passive pf, post flop not very tricky) to me in either CO or Button with AQo

raise or call?

I'm thinking if I can get both blinds to fold, I should raise, but if I can't, I should just call.

Also, if I were in BB's shoes, with 3 limpers and a raiser, would I be inclined to call with any two connected or suited?

Thx!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't we raise this like >90%? Even if the flop misses, we may have lots of draw possibilities with a family pot.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:00 PM

Honestly, I did not read my post before I put it up. I guess I need to read for context when I am talking about multiple topics in one post. I have edited my post with my actual thoughts.

Honestly, I did not read my post before I put it up. I guess I need to read for context when I am talking about multiple topics in one post. I have edited my post with my actual thoughts.

I am a strong advocate for raising with AQo if it is not raised in front of me in any position.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:13 PM

do we really have enough equity to raise? These are not super loose players, I do not think the limpers are completely random hands.

By raising and having both blinds call, I'm going to be giving double the odds on the flop to 5 opponents possibly drawing to *something*...But Miles is right, I've been going at HEFAP, and I dont' think I can get all the concepts separate from each other...
Old 10-25-2005, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is so far on the raise side of the equation that whether the blinds would call 100% of the time or fold 100% of the time does not sway the decision. raiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraise
raiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraise

[/ QUOTE ]

err... to continue this point....

raiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraise raiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraise
raiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraise raiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraise
raiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraiseraise raise
Old 10-25-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but if they won't fold, then there's not much equity in bloating the pot...

[/ QUOTE ]

When the flop comes AAx (or many other freeze-up flops) and you can't squeeze another bet out of them, you'll wish it was bloated.

You have a hand that is better than theirs now, and position on the field. Combine that edge with your ability to evaluate how your hand fares on the flop and you miss out a lot of value by not raising here against poor players.

This type of hand is one of those endless discussion points. There is no perfect answer, but the guidance on how to play it is within yourself to evaluate how you can play post-flop and your read of the other players at the table.