Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 06-30-2005, 11:50 AM

Default 5-5 Hand from Harrah\'s New Orleans

My strategy in sitting at this table was two-fold. First, to avoid the two very good players at the table, which I did successfully. Second, to isolate the player on my immediate right, who I quickly deduced was the worst player I had ever seen at stakes above $3-$6 limit. Oh, and he happened to have $4k in front of him.

All was going to plan until the following hand:

The terrible player had not folded pre-flop in the 2.5 hours (instead raising to $15 every hand) I was at the table and had gone to the river 85% of the time.

I was on the button with 97s. Four limpers to Mr. $15, who raises on cue. I call, the blinds call, and the limpers call. Based upon my limited information, the limpers are somewhat loose and passive.

The flop comes Ad 9d 7s. I have clubs. The small blind checks, the big blind bets $90, three callers (including Mr. $15) to me. I make it $500 to go. After the raise, I have ~$1500, Mr. $15 has ~$950 left, and calling my raise will put the other three players all-in or virtually all-in. Is this raise a mistake?

The three players go all-in to call. Now Mr. $15 limp-reraises his last $450. Mr. $15 has shown some aggression in betting, but has not done anything that might be deemed a sophisticated play. From watching him play, you are not always sure if he knows what his hand is. Is the pot too big to fold or do you figure you are toast?
Old 06-30-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: 5-5 Hand from Harrah\'s New Orleans

You're setting yourself up for a real tough decision after your raise. I can't imagine that all three of your opponents are going all-in here with only one pair. You pot-committed yourself with a mediocre hand.

Because "Mr. $15" is soooo bad I would much rather wait to get my stack in against him with better than bottom two. However, I believe you're getting about 5.5:1 on your money here so that makes it tough to fold. At this point I think you have to make a crying call. At least you might take down the side pot.

JKratzer
Old 06-30-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At least you might take down the side pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-30-2005, 12:03 PM

instacall. your hand is not that great, but mr.15's call reraise probably just means he intends to put his money in no matter what. if you are thinking about fold here, your raise was a huge mistake.

--turnipmonster
Old 06-30-2005, 12:13 PM

I was at this table in the 9 seat. This guy was a gambler. He doesn't know how to play poker and was just there to throw some money around. I would call his reraise with almost any pair. Your hand is a monster to his. You might lose part of the pot to the other callers, but you want his money in the side pot.

P.S. I'm prejudice, he called my KK with A4 after I went all-in $1500 preflop and caught trips on the flop. Three hands before that he called my AA with J2 (another player also had AA) all-in preflop for 1000+. Pray that you see this guy again and take every cent he has.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:18 PM

i think you played it ok... i think calling the flopand seeing what happens on the turn might be better...
as far as the guys last 450, call no prob...
Old 06-30-2005, 12:24 PM

folding would be terrible. you are likely ahead for the side pot. also, there is a huge amount in the pot.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop comes Ad 9d 7s. I have clubs. The small blind checks, the big blind bets $90, three callers (including Mr. $15) to me. I make it $500 to go. After the raise, I have ~$1500, Mr. $15 has ~$950 left, and calling my raise will put the other three players all-in or virtually all-in. Is this raise a mistake?

The three players go all-in to call. Now Mr. $15 limp-reraises his last $450. Mr. $15 has shown some aggression in betting, but has not done anything that might be deemed a sophisticated play. From watching him play, you are not always sure if he knows what his hand is. Is the pot too big to fold or do you figure you are toast?

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhat confused here -- "Now Mr. $15 limp-reraises his last $450." Didn't he call the $90 bet opening bet on the flop, then re-raise your raise? "Limp" re-raise?

In any event, if I'm following correctly, the pot has 8 players for a total of $120 going to the flop. With the $90 flop bet and three callers when the action gets to you on the flop, the pot is $480.

When you raise $500 and the others still in the pot would be all-in with a call, they are each individually getting about 2 to 1 on their money (and it will be much better than 2 to 1 with each additional caller). A diamond flush draw only needs 2 to 1 odds here, so a flush draw will call your raise. With four other players still in the pot, you are most assuredly against at least one flush draw, and there is a decent chance you are also facing (1) a set of nines or sevens or (2) A7 or A9 two-pair. A flush draw would call the $90 bet, and a set might also call $90 (although a set should certainly be raising here).

This is an all-in or fold hand when the action first comes to you on the flop, keeping in mind that with the others players all-in around $500 regardless of the size of your raise, the flush draw is locked into his call because he gets the right price. Given the other possible hands still out there and the nature of the betting, and the fact that you've failed to isolate the weak player, I would fold and save my chips for a better opportunity to isolate.

As played, there is now about $3430 in the pot ($480 + $500(your raise) + $500 +$500 + $500 + $450(last raise)). $450 to call for $3430 pot is over 7.5 to 1 odds. You have about a 16% chance to hit your boat, which only requires about 6 to 1 to call. Easy call at this point, and hope that your boat, if it hits, isn't beaten by a bigger boat.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:47 PM

what time did this hand take place?...and what did Gambler look like?