Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 03-01-2004, 11:08 PM

Default QQ vs paired flop

When you have an overpair, how do you attack a paired flop?

This is a hand where I had QQ, the flop was 6-7-7, and the UTG+1 player bet and reraised the flop, then bet out on the turn. Should I have kept raising? Folded? Check-called?

(Can you tell I'm clueless?)

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold 'Em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero raises, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 bets, Hero raises, MP3 folds, CO folds, UTG+1 3-bets, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 bets, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

A week ago I thought I had this game licked. Now I know better!
Old 03-01-2004, 11:29 PM

Default Re: QQ vs paired flop

A typical .5/1 player will never even think of checkraising there river here if he held a better hand. Not with all the aggression he have shown.
Bet and expect to be paid off by a 6 or a lower pocket pair most of the time. Sometimes even A-high or worse.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:35 AM

You did the right thing by calling him down. You can't fold to every supposed seven you encounter or soon you'll always need the nuts to win a hand.

He doesn't get to bet the river with a seven and take a free showdown with a six. He'd bet with a seven, so bet behind him.

It is theoretically possible that he could checkraise you. I'm sure someday someone will do that to me. Until that happens I refuse to worry about it.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:55 AM

I would bet the river unless I had seen the player in question go for tricky checkraises before.