Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Is Star Trek Racist?

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say the French suck, it's just the sensibility and attitude of Picard is hardcore English officer (a type pretty firmly established since the Napoleonic wars onwards), that's all.

Jeez, never thought I'd be defending the French here [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they still turn your military heroes into Dukes?

Like Marlborough and Wellington.

Churchill should have been made a Duke, IMO.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4. Capt. Piccard is the most tolerant, non racist person ever and he is hands down the best star trek character of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Picard was a great character and a helluva Captain, but he was no Kirk.

Kirk was a baller.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whoever the guy is that is at the helm with Sulu is exhibiting prejudice towards Spock throughout most of the episode. Then, when they actually see the Romulan commander, 'that guy' does the look-at-the-screen-look-at-Spock triple (or even quadruple) take.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember that one now and how I felt when I saw it at 12 yrs old. I saw a crew man that naturally catagorized Spock because of his likeness to the enemy. I also saw Spock become uncomfortable/suprised himself although he was above all that emotion stuff. I think in the end the lesson was that they might be forced to blow up the Romulins but that Spock was ok even if he "looked" the same. Now that sissy captain on The Next Generation would have invited them to high tea and bisquets. The whole show was ahead of it's time about a lot of things. I heard Rodenberry speak at university and he said this was his intent.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4. Capt. Piccard is the most tolerant, non racist person ever and he is hands down the best star trek character of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Picard was a great character and a helluva Captain, but he was no Kirk.

Kirk was a baller.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Kirk , of course. But he was a lad. Picard was a man.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:40 PM

TNG showed the fundamental flaw of a show with a cast of regulars who will not leave the show. It grows stagnant.

They killed off one main character early in the series, and then nothing.

They should have randomly pulled a name out of a hat each year and told that actor.. "this is the year you get killed off"

That would bring some excitement and unpredictability to a show that otherwise is too predictable as the "immortal" actors can get in any situation without fear of dying.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say the French suck, it's just the sensibility and attitude of Picard is hardcore English officer (a type pretty firmly established since the Napoleonic wars onwards), that's all.

Jeez, never thought I'd be defending the French here [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they still turn your military heroes into Dukes?

Like Marlborough and Wellington.

Churchill should have been made a Duke, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

It varies. Nelson was made a Lord, for example.

We had too many British (the Scots and the Welsh made a damn good show of it too) heroes for all that nonsense. I'm not kidding. Here's a past thread about one

Doesn't matter what honours you gave Churchill, he couldn't have been a greater man or been held in higher esteem than he is, IMO.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It varies. Nelson was made a Lord, for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

He would have made Duke if he had lived long enough. The story of Marlborough and Wellington are similar. They kept getting bumped up in title rank every few years as they continued to produce victories. Nelson died in battle, and you don't get titles posthumously.

Its a much better system than just giving titles to Royal family members (York, Kent, Gloucester) - what have they ever done for anybody?
Old 12-14-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
whoever the guy is that is at the helm with Sulu is exhibiting prejudice towards Spock throughout most of the episode. Then, when they actually see the Romulan commander, 'that guy' does the look-at-the-screen-look-at-Spock triple (or even quadruple) take.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember that one now and how I felt when I saw it at 12 yrs old. I saw a crew man that naturally catagorized Spock because of his likeness to the enemy.

[/ QUOTE ]

That episode is a good example.

Most of the Vulcan predjudice can be seen in the first season episodes. It always involves human characters being intolerant with Spock's lack of emotion.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nope. Women were not equal in TOS. Women were specifically barred from being starship captains. The final episode of the series, Turnabout Intruder, deals with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not know this. Is that the one where they somehow switched Kirks mind with this chick and then she went to the enterprise to be captain in Kirks body?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the episode.

I believe Roddenberry later regretted showing Star Fleet captains as men only, especially since the first officer in the original, rejected Star Trek pilot was a woman.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the hot vulcan chick on the newest ST the old lady that ran the show on vulcan

No. Old Vulcan lady on TOS - T'Pau
Hot chick on Enterprise - T'Pol
Chick who dissed Spock - T'Pring

[/ QUOTE ]

The original idea for the prequel show Enterprise was for the Vulcan woman to indeed be T'Pau. But, they went in another direction.