Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Pay off this river c/r?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

I only had approx. twenty-five hands on both the SB and UTG+1, but already both seemed loose-passive/fishy preflop, although I didn't have a good read on either's post-flop play. BB is TP-A. MP1 is LA-P. No read on the button.

Preflop: chesspain is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">chesspain raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">chesspain bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: (8.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">chesspain bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">chesspain bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, chesspain...
Old 05-27-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Pay off this river c/r?

I don't see what he would check-raise with that you beat.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:40 PM

Hey chesspain,

The river value bet itself is already really thin when it's 4 handed on the river so this seems like a ridiculously easy fold. You have middle pair and there's an A on the board, this is almost never going to be a bluff.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:41 PM

First post, so...

My guess is you are either looking at a guy who slowplayed a set, slowplayed the ace on the turn, or hit two pair with the river. I'm not sure how you win the hand. It's a decent sized pot, but do you think you win 1 in 12 here?

I'm probably calling because I am stubborn.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a decent sized pot, but do you think you win 1 in 12 here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the pot is up to 15.5BB after the checkraise.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:50 PM

This either makes me more right, or more dumb. Okay maybe both.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:52 PM

Fold.

Now if I played the hand, I check the river. I dont see it as a value bet, but Id hear any arguments that say otherwise.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:02 PM

I don't mind the river bet. I see a weaker king, a smaller pocket pair, a pair of 8s or 4s paying you off here. Remember, the larger the pot, the thinner your value bets can be because you're more likely to be paid off.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:20 PM

might be one of those folds where you start wanting to choke the neareast thing. I really don't see what you're beating here, especially givewn the sketch of a read on the sb here, no way does he do this with something that you can beat
Old 05-27-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold.

Now if I played the hand, I check the river. I dont see it as a value bet, but Id hear any arguments that say otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see a value bet, and if somebody else bets, there's no way in hell I'm overcalling. Moozh says value bets can be really thin, but this is a really big field, and that lowers whatever value bet expectation you might have. This is the easiest river fold I can think of.