Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Help with pocket 10s 6Handed ....-EV

Hi folks

Anyone experiecne this.....

I have found that pocket 10s are nothing but a big suck-out at 6 handed. With so many playing weak Aces, and K8s, QJos, it just seems like any overcards ALWAYS spell doom.

Anyway, I'm am able to lay these down when I'm pretty sure I'm behind, but it seems like there is a real big gap between the ability for 10/10 to win unimproved then there is for JJ.

Do you folks think it has something to do with the loose or semi-losse players getting excited about any high cards 6 handed? (I do realize the extra value of high cards, lower value of suited, etc when SH)

PS. I am not shy about pre-flop play with this hand. I'll cap it if I can. But when I open with a raise and get two Cold callers, then I don't have position or momentum. Next thing is I'm leading out into a KJ4 flop and getting raised, with a big stunned "where to from here" thought in my head.....

GRRRRR......

Anyway, I'd rather see 77 or 88, and look for trips rather than try and make my way through a minefield with unimproved 10s. Any thoughts, or is this just a tough spot 6 handed by the nature of the game.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Help with pocket 10s 6Handed ....-EV

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I'd rather see 77 or 88, and look for trips rather than try and make my way through a minefield with unimproved 10s. Any thoughts, or is this just a tough spot 6 handed by the nature of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see some Poker Tracker numbers showing 77 or 88 doing better than TT. After 65,000 hands at 10/20 6max, TT is my 5th best hand, btw.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:11 PM

Take a deep breath.

1. TT is a nice +EV hand. But you have to lower your expectations. It loses most of the time.

[ QUOTE ]
Next thing is I'm leading out into a KJ4 flop

[/ QUOTE ]
2. You need to stop doing this. You don't have to play aggressively out-of-position versus two opponents and two overcards. It's OK to checkfold hopeless flops.

[ QUOTE ]
and getting raised, with a big stunned "where to from here" thought in my head.....

[/ QUOTE ]
3. You go home. You elected to throw the Hail Mary on the flop and it was intercepted. Muck your hand. Next deal.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
with a big stunned "where to from here" thought in my head.....

[/ QUOTE ]

is it really all that difficult? maybe you are losing with TT because you find the aforementioned situation so difficult? Perhaps overplaying the hand a bit much? It is a strong hand and will win more than 99,88,77 (naturally), but its not a premium hand. Expect to earn somewhere in the range of .80-.95 bb / hand with it.

Edit: I would expect some players to earn over 1 bb, need some big 6max database to determine what the expected range should be. Still, TT plays itself more often than not.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:15 PM

I will take TT all day.