Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 11-30-2005, 03:44 AM

Default Password managment and security

Just wondering how you all manage your many passwords and many accounts...?

This has recently become a problem for me as I have multiple poker accounts, multiple email accounts, neteller, firepay, online checking, personal websites (e*trade, ingdirect, ect), internet forums, blogrings, and a few other things.

With all these different usernames and passwords it is easy to lose track of which is which and what goes where.

I have read about a few products and some software that is sub-par to help keep track of all this. However, nothing very exceptional or great.

Can anyone make some good recomendations as to how you manage it all?

Looking for something safe and secure, and hopefully something that is portable.

Another question is how do you all go about picking your passwords? Do you pick the easy to remember password (address, last name, ect.) or something completly random? Do you have the same PW for all your accounts? Or do you mix it up?

And finally, Can anyone reccomend a password generator, or something that they use to create random passwords.

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:50 AM

Default Re: Password managment and security

there are "safe" (as in a bank safe) type programs that allow you to have incredibly long/secure/different passwords for everything and all are stored with one master password, being easily recalled when needed.

If you don't use it, try to have your passwords mix and match numbers/letters.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:59 AM

I use KeePass (open source) and really like it. I use a USB "thumb" drive plus a strong pass-phrase to unlock my password file. It has a decent password generator built in that I have used to create all my passwords.

Before that I used PasswordSafe but I have not followed the development of that project.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:03 AM

I have also ran into that problem and I have decided to give roboform a try. The reviews I've seen have all been positive and it seems to possess many of the features you desire.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:36 AM

I use a combination of KeePass and Roboform to manage my passwords. Roboform is great for web based passwords. KeePass comes in handy for those other passwords that might not be fillable via a web form (Poker programs). Both have good random password generators.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:30 AM

It's very important to not use the same password on multiple accounts. My brother recently had his web based email account compromised (Yahoo). He had emails in there giving his Paypal and Ebay account details. Because he was using the same password as on his Yahoo email, they managed to purchase about $1000 worth of stuff before he noticed.

So if you use web based email, you should also make sure that you delete any emails containing account info. For instance, Neteller send you and email containing your Secure ID.

Passwords should be long (at least 8 characters, preferably 12), and should be a random mix of punctuation, upper and lower case letters and numbers. Never use names, words, or personal info (ie date of birth). You should change passwords on sensitive accounts at least every six months, or more often if you can.

Another useful thing to do is buy a shredder (one that cross cuts ideally). They're not too expensive. Any receipts/letters (utility bills etc) that you're going to throw out should be shredded beforehand. Receipts sometimes contain your entire credit card number, and any personal info could be used by identity thieves.

Also, make sure to regularly check all your online bank accounts for any suspicious activity. I recently went through my online bank statement and found several (though small) transactions that I'd never authorised.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:45 AM

I use PasswordSafe which I like, I had previously used Roboform which I didn't like.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:22 PM

I use several sheets of paper in a notebook next to my computer. Anything I would want to use on a differnt computer I have memorized.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I use several sheets of paper in a notebook next to my computer. Anything I would want to use on a differnt computer I have memorized.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a small hardbound notebook I keep in the desk drawer. I'm always afraid if something happened to the computers or my husband who handles most things on the computers I'd be totally lost so we agreed on the notebook. I don't like all my eggs in one basket [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

S&SGW
Old 11-30-2005, 01:15 PM

i keep most in my head but also on paper- in a secret safe.
too paranoid to have someone elses program hold it for me just in case...