Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 07:43 AM

Default Your Diet and Nutrition

I've been thinking a lot lately about how important what you eat is... Has anyone here done a lot of research into it and could share their wisdom? Thoughts on red meat, eating fast food, etc.

I want to eat healthy, but I have no idea what to buy from meijers or these big supermarkets and there aren't any good local organic health food type stores.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Your Diet and Nutrition

if youre really curious read some books on nutrition.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:38 AM

I know why you don't just "read some books" on the subject--there's gads of conflicting information.

It's important to remember that all of the conventional wisdom about fast food and junk food is correct--don't eat it, unless it's an isolated treat.

Otherwise, I suggest simple adjustments like only eating lean meats, skim or soy milk only, less bread, and plenty of fruits and vegetables.

Once you make the adjustments, they're really easy to maintain, because your system won't crave all of the salt and fat of a Big Mac and fries and the chemicals in a stupid Coke. Your brain will say "Don't do that, it's dumb."

But again, it's an overall thing. From time to time, you can eat any damned thing you want; just don't let it lead to a "relapse."
Old 11-19-2005, 09:23 AM

Eat less fastfood and drink less soda.

Learn how to cook dishes that include heathly items like vegetables and fish. Salmon is good for you, I try to eat at least once a week. Toast (wheat bread) and/or cereal is always the best breakfast. Lettuce has little nutriional value. Choose veggies that are of a dark green color. Drink juice or milk in place of soda. Etc.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:28 AM

A good start is to stick to the perimeter of the grocery store, that is stick to whole foods. This alone will be a big step in the right direction. Red meat is fine, in moderation, just like anything else. But seriously just starting with this step alone will make a big difference. PM me if you want any more detail.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:55 AM

I am pre-med, I plan to be a doctor concentrating on human nutrition. I am vegan, and avoid a lot of stuff, like caffeine, fried foods etc. Note, I say avoid, right, it's kinda silly to just say "never" I just avoid foods that I think are probably not so good. Anyway, obviously the #1 thing in my opinion, is the less processed the better. Processed foods = crap [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] The closer they are to nature the better, so raw/whole foods and organic is +EV.

I think that the food we eat is many times more important than most people give credit.

It affects us tromendously.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:33 AM

When did people start saying "red meat" instead of beef? I assume "red meat" covers a couple other things like lamb or vennison, but the majority of the time it just means beef. So why don't people just say beef? And what's so bad about it anyway (besides all the weird hormones and crap they inject into the cows)?
Old 11-19-2005, 10:39 AM

Man I like fat milk. Half in half is even better. I don't believe it's bad for me.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A good start is to stick to the perimeter of the grocery store, that is stick to whole foods. This alone will be a big step in the right direction. Red meat is fine, in moderation, just like anything else. But seriously just starting with this step alone will make a big difference. PM me if you want any more detail.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice, stick to natural, non-processed foods. Veggies, fruits, nuts, meat, eggs etc. And find a mix that works for you. Just stay away from white bread, fast food, soda, candy etc. Extremes usually never work with diets (ie. atkins, grapefruit diet) because they are hard to stick to. If you lift weights, get your diet up to 1 g of protien per 1lb of lean mass, and do not mix carbs with fat in any meal (ie no buttered bread). Try to keep your meal combos Fat and protien or carbs and protein. Everything in moderation though, including moderation. You can find a bunch more at t-nation.com
Old 11-19-2005, 10:46 AM

why would you not mix fat and carbs? If it's to keep from gaining weight I could not care less as I'm 6' and 145 pounds. Also, what is wrong with white bread?