Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 08-11-2005, 11:01 PM

Default 5/10 SH variance.

What kind of variance should I expect in 5/10 SH playing a bunch of... lesser players?

I set my loss limit at 30BB or $300.

I find that if luck is average I do really well with the poorer competition making over 3-4 BB per 100, 53% win showdown on average. But when the bad luck comes its flows like an avalanche of no cards and draw outs to 5 outers almost every hand I play. Usually within 200-300 hands I hit my $300 loss limit and quit, 25-35% win at showdown.

I rarely seem to have the opposite where I win a HUGE amount of money in a short time 56-60% win showdown.

Is this kind of super rollercoaster typical? Seems like the players suckout more. I set my $300 loss limit because by that time (after the 5th of 7 suckout in a row) I start getting really annoyed. I don't want to play bad so before the tilt sets in I quit.

http://www.texasholdempoker-stats.com/
Old 08-11-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Re: 5/10 SH variance.

Typical day for me:

I don't have a stop loss for these reasons, but I do try to stop playing when I realize I'm playing badly.

Rob
Old 08-11-2005, 11:12 PM

Wow thats the actual swing in the bankroll for the day?

You lose $300 then go up to $600 then lose it all again then win it all back?

4 tables I assume. I only play 2. Can't handle 4. I have to watch the players.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:25 PM

I start alot of sessions going down for some reason. These sessions many times end up as the bigger winners however. I even have had to rebuy in the past, only to end up leaving the same table up 50BB. Its not really related, but Brunson talks about his early days playing in Texas where he would buy in, rebuy, even rebuy twice sometimes, but almost always end up winning for the day and easily making back his buyins over the course of the session.

There has been discussion about this in this forum as well as the Psychology forum(might search for some related topics. Basically the consensus was: if you are playing well, don't get up(unless other reasons force you too, like those terribly -EV wife/GF). If you think you are even slightly tilting or you are not playing your best and going downhill, bail.

Setting a hardcap on loss is ludicrous. I sat down at a table last night, after playing 2 hands(about 8 total dealt) I was down to 10.2BB from my 25BB buy-in. 2 maniacs caught 4-outers or less on the river after capping flop/turn. With your rule, you might run bad a bit longer, get up, then leave. As long as you are not tilting & still in control, this would be a big mistake. You want to stay and not only get your money back from this type of player, you are gonna get all their money too the way they play.

The key is to realize when you are playing well and when you are starting to degrade & tilt.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:28 PM

There is no variance in SH...

But seriously though. My first week i had a crazy 500BB upswing. My second week i had a 370BB downswing.

setting yourself a 30BB swing limit is going to make you leave the tables pretty damn quick.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:30 PM

first 4k hands, i was at 8bb/100. after 11k total(including the 4k), im at 1 bb/100. took so many breaks in between, freaking out.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:33 PM

If you have to set a stop loss of 30bb, you are probably underrolled for the game. You should just play lower until you have a sufficent role, say 600bb, and play. If you lose half of that, drop back down.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:37 PM

Most professionals and people who study the game realize that stop losses are a bad idea (Malmuth's Poker Essays, Inside the Poker Mind) and stops should be set for when you are playing bad or at a bad table. Losing 30BB is not an indication of any of these things. It's absolutely ludicrous to think that you will end a session literally 8 minutes after it's started if you play 3-4 pots early and lose. A 30BB stop loss in SH limit has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:38 PM

646 hands from today
Old 08-11-2005, 11:43 PM

Where the hell do I get a working copy of Poker Grapher?