Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Is it ever ok to be tigh-Agg./Passive?

I have played 5057 hands so far and use poker tracker. It has auto rated me as Tight-aggressive/Passive. I know that the best players are Tight and Aggressive. Is there any room to be as I am currently labeled? I play 1/2 limit and am starting to move up to 2/4. I wonder that for the time when you are in the low-limits w/4-6 players per flop, do you have to be aggressive when you miss the flop or have an underpair? The odds are there sometimes to make the call w/overcards, but never usually there to try and hit the miracle set. I am still a beginner and want to learn so any input is welcome. btw...I have read SSHE and am tring to apply the ideas of raising more w/less than top pair to provide free cards, etc...but am still new to applying them correctly. Thanks
Old 12-22-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Is it ever ok to be tigh-Agg./Passive?

5057 isn't enough hands to make any kind of judgement as to what kind of player you are.

That said, there are any number of styles that will work; being TAP usually means that you're missing value bets on the later streets, tho.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:14 PM

Make sure you don't include Preflop #'s when determining your Aggro. factor. For awhile I was showing up as a TAP, then I unclicked the "Include PF" box and I became Eagle/Moneybagish.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:58 AM

1) You need a lot more hands to determine your "true" type
2) I'd say, if you start as a TAG, it's better to tend towards a LAG than a TAP. If you're passive postflop, you probably need to work on your postflop play.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:18 PM

5000 hands is plenty of hands to determine your type. It's nowhere near enough hands to determine your win rate, but your type, in terms of your general behavior, is already quite clear.

As to whether it's OK -- it's certainly not optimal. If you play well, you can still be profitable, but you're leaving money on the table. Is it good enough for you?

Why are you asking? Do you not want to play your best poker? Do you fear the variance of making large bets and raises? Or are you still uncertain of when that aggression is correct?

If the variance of the big bets bothers you, you are playing at the wrong limits. Never mind the size of the blinds; they dictate the size of the game, but only by starting the action; those bets at the end are the result of the blinds. If the late bets make you queasy, you're at the wrong limits.

If you are uncertain of when aggression is correct, being passive is fine while you learn. You're better off being rated a little too passive and missing some bets and raises than you are being rated properly aggressive, but achieving it with Dumb Aggression.

You don't want to be aggressive for the sake of having a high AF; you want to be aggressive by making smart moves. Keep studying when and how to make smart moves, and your aggression factors will creep up.

By the way, don't forget that half of the equation that makes for a high aggression factor consists of NOT making bad calls. Making bad calls will drag down your AF as surely as failing to bet.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:23 PM

Don't worry about it - the autorate rules in PT suck. Almost anyone who is not a maniac gets rated as passive postflop. Import those rules that Bisonbison had. Anyone have a link for that?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry about it - the autorate rules in PT suck. Almost anyone who is not a maniac gets rated as passive postflop. Import those rules that Bisonbison had. Anyone have a link for that?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean this one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Some notes on notes
Old 12-23-2005, 01:37 PM

it helps to be able to mix in some tappy with your bossaggro, authoritag, mellaggro, and dominaggro playing styles.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:40 PM

Nomatilda -
Here's the link for the rating system that you posted. I don't know if it will stand the test of time like Bisonbison's but it does focus on post flop play which may help OP here. The real reason I sent it though is that it has links to Bisonbison's ratings, and Harv72b's ratings as well as yours. None of these ratings is perfect but when I'm running bad I plug in all 3 ratings (plus the PT defaults) and see where I am. I think looking at your stats four different ways may help give some perspective on where you are and compensate for the relatively small sample size.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it helps to be able to mix in some tappy with your bossaggro, authoritag, mellaggro, and dominaggro playing styles.

[/ QUOTE ]

is donkaggro acceptible at times?