Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 10:25 PM

Default How to play a Straight

I was in a game the other day and had the high straight off the flop, but there were two hearts on the board, creating a flush draw. I bet the pot and got two callers. Nothing came on the turn, so I bet the pot again, they both called. On the river another heart came, making a flush. One of the players bet a small amount, the other folded, and I just called. It turned out he had a set. Should I have stayed consistent and re-raise and bet the pot or was I right in just calling the raise?
Old 05-27-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Re: How to play a Straight

[ QUOTE ]
I was in a game the other day and had the high straight off the flop, but there were two hearts on the board, creating a flush draw. I bet the pot and got two callers. Nothing came on the turn, so I bet the pot again, they both called. On the river another heart came, making a flush. One of the players bet a small amount, the other folded, and I just called. It turned out he had a set. Should I have stayed consistent and re-raise and bet the pot or was I right in just calling the raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Call the river. If you raise, what will he call you with? Probably only a flush. A raise here would just be chip spewing against most players.

This is just in general though. With a specific hand history, or a read on the player, you will get better replies.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:56 AM

How well-concealed is the straight? A board of say, A589K looks much less threatening to most of your opponents than AKQJ4. Just another thing to consider.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:19 PM

yea, i think you made the right play on that. if you had raised, then under normal circumstances if he reads you having a strong hand he would fold unless he actually made teh flush in which point he would raise. so you wouldnt have made any more money by raising and you having him beat, but you would have lost money if you raised and he did have you beat.

what makes this question interesting though is that he had a very strong hand, a hand that usually wins... i am surprised he didnt re-raise you when he flopped his set. but because he didnt, you really had no way of reading him as having a set (or possibly two pair). so i think you made the right play.

also, i am really impressed with his play on the river. by only betting a small amount, he is saying 'hey, i have the flush and am now just trying to trap you when you raise.' this wasnt the case however, so he got to the showdown cheaply.

i would say good plays by both of you.

--cheap
Old 05-28-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yea, i think you made the right play on that. if you had raised, then under normal circumstances if he reads you having a strong hand he would fold unless he actually made teh flush in which point he would raise. so you wouldnt have made any more money by raising and you having him beat, but you would have lost money if you raised and he did have you beat.

what makes this question interesting though is that he had a very strong hand, a hand that usually wins... i am surprised he didnt re-raise you when he flopped his set. but because he didnt, you really had no way of reading him as having a set (or possibly two pair). so i think you made the right play.

also, i am really impressed with his play on the river. by only betting a small amount, he is saying 'hey, i have the flush and am now just trying to trap you when you raise.' this wasnt the case however, so he got to the showdown cheaply.

i would say good plays by both of you.

--cheap

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2005, 09:27 PM

I have saved myself from going bust by just calling with very good hands on the river. Specifically, I chased a Khigh flush and caught on the river, but the way the hand was played (I CR flop and got one cold caller, along with the LP bettor; checked around turn), I checked the river and the cold caller made a relatively small bet. I almost raised all-in, but I just called. He had an Ahigh flush.