Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2004, 12:59 AM

Default O8 Newbie questions

Soon I'll be taking a stab at playing O/8 online in hopes of making a profit. I'm planning on playing super-tight at first and refining my game as things go along. Just a few questions for the veterans out there:

--What sites have the most action (both in terms of loose play and in being able to find a full table whenever I log on)?

--How many BB is considered a safe bankroll at any given level (for a decent player, that is)? If I have any success at all online I want to make sure I don't ruin it by going up in stakes too soon.

--Outside the blinds, what's a rough estimate of how many hands I should be playing? I know what the best hands are but I'm not sure how picky I should be at what I'm assuming will be fairly loose .50/$1 tables. Is 10% of hands too many?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:29 AM

Default Re: O8 Newbie questions

[ QUOTE ]
--Outside the blinds, what's a rough estimate of how many hands I should be playing? I know what the best hands are but I'm not sure how picky I should be at what I'm assuming will be fairly loose .50/$1 tables. Is 10% of hands too many?

[/ QUOTE ]

GMan - Outside the blinds, 10% is about right, I think, for a newbee.

Buzz
Old 08-10-2004, 08:37 AM

Buzz (or possibly beavis68) also posted a link to 'suggested' playable starting hands a few days back. Search around for this- it will help you out.

I think 30 BB is a good starting bankroll. When I play a session now, I try to leave if I've lost 20 BB, b/c that may be a sign I'm on tilt.

Party has good .50/1 tables you should play. I don't have much experience elsewhere.

Good luck!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:27 PM

I agree with Party, UB is ok, but they almost never have .50/1.00 tables going, and it is a little tighter than party - party is not only very loose, but it is weak too, you will find that few people raise pre-flop on party. And those that do you will quickly see what their standards are.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:43 PM

Default Besides Party....

Pacific usually has one sub-$1.00 limit game going, either .05-.10, .10-.20, or .25-.50. Mind you, i'd rather you to go to Party instead where the fishing's probably better. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Incidentally i have an ethical issue brewing with Party because this stupid pop-up Trojan Horse that got in my system via MSIE displays their ads every once in a while. Anyone else had that happen?
Old 08-10-2004, 08:03 PM

>>I think 30 BB is a good starting bankroll.

30BB, really? You mean to bring to a session, or for your whole bankroll? I always thought it took a couple hundred BB to be past the "risk of ruin" for a winning player.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always thought it took a couple hundred BB to be past the "risk of ruin" for a winning player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Risk of ruin only really applies to those seeking to make a living at it, though, or those like Mangatang who are making a point to never have to deposit anything in their account, right?

As long as you clear enough discretionary income for leisure to make up for your losses, you'll be fine. ;-)
Old 08-10-2004, 10:49 PM

30 BB is a bankroll for one session, not a "bankroll" per se. If you are willing to fund it from your next paycheck, then it's not really a bankroll. Nothing wrong with that, but it is not really a bankroll. Of course the smaller you are playing, and the easier you can replace that "bankroll", the looser you can play your bankroll requirements.

Don
Old 08-11-2004, 05:39 PM

I only buy-in for 20BB, it is really unusual that a round of betting gets even 3-bet.

I also usually end up playing about 30% or hands or so - I use the hutchinson point system, and I find of decent for the loose games.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it is really unusual that a round of betting gets even 3-bet

[/ QUOTE ]

Not on Party/skins at the .5/1 limit. Especially on weekends and evenings when the gamblers wander in. Granted, it doesn't happen every round, but I see much more "action" oriented preflop play here moreso than anywhere else at this limit.

I'll be the first to admit that I am having trouble with this site's game at this limit. I'm not sure why but I'm probably not making the proper adjustments to this game.

I'm profitable at every other site, at every other limit than this one. Maybe it's something about the hoakey cartoonish table and avatars that I'm not taking seriously enough, or maybe I just suck at multi-tabling omaha/8 here clearing bonueses (which these days is the only reaon I end up on Party/skins).

I'm planning on taking a stab at the Party 2/4 O8 game at some point, but there's plenty of juicy games elsewhere. Last night on Pacific there was a 3/6 O8 game going with ~70% calling preflop and an average pot running at $75-$80 when I checked (I didn't play but probably would have given more time). Table selection is key - look for 50%+ preflop calling at sites that report it.

My opinion on bankroll/buy-in
Bankroll reqs: 200-500 BB
Buy in req: 20BB - reload another 10BB if you go down 10 if the game is good

I have an isolated poker bankroll I want to retain for only poker - both ring games and tournaments. I could replentish it if I went bust, but have no specific budget for it so I'd prefer not.

I would recommend playing on Poker Stars starting at the lowest limits. This site has ample soft games running multiple tables up to .25/.50 - after this limit the games can be on/off depending on the time/day, but most are still good.