Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 03:14 PM

Default am I spewing?

Villain is pretty crazy, but capable of laying down if he thinks he is beat, no reads on the other guy.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (11.16 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

River: (21.16 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 23.16 BB
Old 07-05-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: am I spewing?

[ QUOTE ]
River: (21.16 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 23.16 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

No checkraise on the river? Weak-tight play like that will get you nowhere.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:40 PM

a straight is 5 in a row
Old 07-05-2005, 03:40 PM

You have not outs to clean except jack if utg holds tj, but it's 3-6 so noone will ever fold top pair nor overpair.

To put it in a nutshell I think you played it way too agressively (except on the river where the call just sucks).
Old 07-05-2005, 03:49 PM

I wouldn't call it spewing, its more like explosive projectile chip vomiting
Old 07-05-2005, 03:50 PM

thank you that's great to know, I tought I was playing soko [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2005, 05:15 PM

OK..
Betting out on the flop doesn't make sense. (Unless you knew UTG was a fool who'd call anything..) You've got 21 outs to TP or better here.. you want to trap them both in for as many bets as possible, not have UTG raised out..

So I'd CR the flop, but yes, if you can get it capped 3 ways, that's great.

On the turn, you Could still value bet 3-ways.. your straight draw outs are probably good. I'd count your overcards for 3 outs total, and the flush is good maybe half the time or a bit better.. (This really depends on whether UTG is a fool calling station, or whether he'd only call down like this with a strong draw.) So you've got something like 14 outs. 3 ways you're likely looking at about 0 EV, so it makes more sense to wait and exploit the river if you hit. If based on reads you figure the flush is good more often, a value raise might make sense here, but not a bet, for the same reasons as on the flop. Either way though, it probably makes sense to wait and exploit the much bigger edge on the river.

You didn't hit, so either fold *recommended*, or raise if you know you're against a fool who'd go nuts like this all the way then fold the river to a raise. Not very bloody often that'll happen though.. Don't call this river.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:23 PM

I don't play the turn like you did, but I'll admit it, if I'm in chip-spewing mode . . . I just gotta call the river, just to see what he had [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. And maybe 1 in 25 times you crack off something dumb like 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Old 07-05-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't play the turn like you did, but I'll admit it, if I'm in chip-spewing mode . . . I just gotta call the river, just to see what he had . And maybe 1 in 25 times you crack off something dumb like 8 7 .

[/ QUOTE ]

And actually, if I'd built the pot to the insane proportion that he did, I probably would raise the river rather than fold if there was any chance he would fold a busted draw. When I said before that I'd probably fold it was if I didn't think there was a good chance he'd fold the river, and without having done all the raising on the turn.

As for calling 'just to see'.. unless the guy's an utter maniac, I'd save it. What kind of hand is he 3-betting preflop, then playing like this, that you could possibly beat? Nothing..
Old 07-05-2005, 05:35 PM

yes....the flop action isn't bad as you are a favorite with two cards to come...when the turn bricks you are no longer the favorite and you should have check called...why on earth would you call the river with queen high.