Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Making your sessions longer

I've been playing poker for about 2 years and I play reasonably well for approximately the first hour I play each day. Then, I play breakeven for about 30 minutes. Then, my play gets terrible. Maybe I get bored, maybe I start tilting. Thing is, I don't know how to remedy the problem. I try playing more, pushing my limits, but that just leads to losing chunks of the ol' bankroll. I'm still young, and I WILL be going to school, come hell or high water. But I'd like to be able to play poker well for more than an hour...how am I supposed to make money on just an hour a day? Suggestions, anyone?
Old 11-02-2005, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Making your sessions longer

Try taking a 10 or 15 minute break after each hour. Get a snack, take the dog for a walk, stop and smell the roses, etc. Clear your head for a bit then try to get back in there.

I can only play for about 2 or 2 1/2 hours (online) before my concentration starts to fade and these breaks help me quite a bit. I'll usually play two or three short sessions in a day with anywhere from a one to twelve hour break in between them.

When I go play live, I try to take ten or fifteen minutes away from the table and go outside for some fresh air every two hours or so as well. I just started bringing a turkey sandwich or other "lunch" with me, so when I take one of my breaks mid-session, I'll go out to my truck, turn on the radio, eat my sandwich, and enjoy the fresh air. During this time, I'll evaluate how I've been playing and how good the game is to make sure it is worth continuing.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:34 AM

More Ritalin for the ADD generation!
Old 11-02-2005, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try taking a 10 or 15 minute break after each hour. Get a snack, take the dog for a walk, stop and smell the roses, etc. Clear your head for a bit then try to get back in there.

I can only play for about 2 or 2 1/2 hours (online) before my concentration starts to fade and these breaks help me quite a bit. I'll usually play two or three short sessions in a day with anywhere from a one to twelve hour break in between them.

When I go play live, I try to take ten or fifteen minutes away from the table and go outside for some fresh air every two hours or so as well. I just started bringing a turkey sandwich or other "lunch" with me, so when I take one of my breaks mid-session, I'll go out to my truck, turn on the radio, eat my sandwich, and enjoy the fresh air. During this time, I'll evaluate how I've been playing and how good the game is to make sure it is worth continuing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good hand.

This is really important in my experience too, ive suffered from tilting after long sessions where my judgement just vanishes- it sort of wipes the slate clear and can get all those bad beats out of your head, and lets you get back to playing good solid poker. The food bit is true also- extra energy to keep the brain going never hurts either.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:22 PM

I tend to have the opposite problem...sort of.

I tend to start out in the hole. Im jinxed on that first orbit and I dont know why. Always good cards that dont hold up but whatever. I get even after a while and maybe up a bit then I stop. I'd like to play longer too, I will try the advice in this post.