Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 06-02-2005, 11:55 AM

Default 99 op on co-ord board

utg: 25 hands SLAA
bb: 3 hands

--

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, CO folds.

Turn: (10.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (13.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero folds, BB calls $0.50 (All-In).

Final Pot: 17.25 BB
Old 06-02-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: 99 op on co-ord board

I usually raise this preflop. Since you didn't, I'd play it the same postflop. The river fold sucks, but there's just too many ways to lose.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:04 PM

i think we need to get another raise in their, either the flop or turn. if BB has 2 pair we still have many outs to a set or better 2 pair. i think the river fold is ok, since it looks like someone hit a set of 3's.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:10 PM

Definitely raise preflop. You'd like to have few opponents with your hand. I think I cap the flop, and call down if BB is still coming at me on the turn. River fold is good.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:11 PM

Raise preflop. Hard to put BB on a hand, most likely some ragged 2 pair, which you have outs against to improve. I like the way you played it.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:26 PM

I think capping the flop is excessive here.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:46 PM

Yeah, it might be a little over the top, but it also looks like the guy is just stacking off with whatever he happens to be holding.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:01 PM

Thinking about it as he's facing BB's reraise, what is a good card for Hero on the turn (other than a 9)?

I'd tend to say a 3 to counterfeit a villain's 2-pair, or maybe something like a Q, but any other rags are just increasing the likelyhood of a junk one-card straight.

The weird thing here is that I would have expected the 3 falling on the river to be a good card for you, even though it completes a BD flush. I agree that there's no point in calling two cold here.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop. Hard to put BB on a hand, most likely some ragged 2 pair, which you have outs against to improve. I like the way you played it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ciaffone talks a little bit about the raiser in NLHE having an "unlimited hand" whereas the caller has a "limited hand" (thus creating opportunities for continuation bets, etc.

The BB in an unraised pot has an "unlimitedly shitty hand". It's possible that he's got a straight, but it's hard to imagine him being so forceful with it early in the hand, especially when he could checkraise the turn vs me.

I'm a little concerned about putting in such a large investment with 99 so early. I'm not sure that raising truly has power to limit the field in this hand. I do raise with 99 in late position, sometimes against multiple loose callers. So... is there a better way of playing 99 pf? Anywhere that I could read up on this?

And where the hell are you playing 2/4 6-max? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thinking about it as he's facing BB's reraise, what is a good card for Hero on the turn (other than a 9)?
I'd tend to say a 3 to counterfeit a villain's 2-pair, or maybe something like a Q, but any other rags are just increasing the likelyhood of a junk one-card straight.

The weird thing here is that I would have expected the 3 falling on the river to be a good card for you, even though it completes a BD flush. I agree that there's no point in calling two cold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot was starting to get large enough that I didn't want to fold for one more bet.

Chasing a set here is roughly break-even, and I also have a backdoor straight.