Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 07:21 AM

Default Flopping a Full House, Slow play or Aggressive???

My friend has told me that if I flop something strong I should continue to bet as I normally do. Which I agree with the principle of not switching things up and giving opponents a read on me. It's just that the low stakes that I'm playing right now, I don't think these players notice.

Everytime I've flopped a full house, I bet half the pot and I get the hand folded down to me. Once with 5 players in the hand preflop. I'm begining to think maybe I should check and let somebody make something, or otherwise I might not be making all I can from my hand. What do you all think I should do?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Flopping a Full House, Slow play or Aggressive???

Post some specific hands with details in the appropriate strategy forums.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:48 AM

Well I think it depends a lot on the texture of the flop.

For example I have A-Q and the flop comes A-A-Q. Now my hand is very strong but there's not much to catch that will make my opponent fight for the pot. I mean even if he pairs up on the turn he still can't beat an ace. This is a situation where I'll bet out and hope the other ace is out there to raise me.

On the other hand if I have 5-5 and the board comes 5-2-2, that's a good hand to slow down on. If someone has an over pair they'll bet for you. Also there are many cards on the turn that can give someone a second best hand they'll pay you off with.

Keep in mind whether the flop is two-tone. Most low stakes players will call any reasonable bet with a flush draw.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:20 PM

If you flop a broadway house sometimes you are better off checking in early position and seeing if anyone else has a piece of it- or a draw for example, this way you can extract good value when they hit something too.

If for example however you have AQ and you flop AQQ, i always like betting here because if you werent getting paid off, people usually check behind and only call small bets, If you lead into the pot however and some fish has KQ/QJ/QT/Q9 type hands youll usually be taking their stack by the turn if not the flop. Leading into them is something that most often gets them to play back strongly at you.

ric
Old 12-20-2005, 05:45 PM

When you flop a full house, you have killed the flop. It is very unlikely anyone has anything unless they have an overpair. I always let them see the turn before making my move.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:53 PM

if you're playing NL and flop a monster, especially with a raise pre-flop, build the pot.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:09 PM

If you flop the under full, that is, say you have 44 in the hole and the flop comes comes 4-10-10, bet out, you want to catch somebody with three tens to come along for the ride. If you flop the over full, then you slowplay it since you have the deck crippled you want the others to get help on the next cards or bluff at the pot.
Edit...Jesus, I just realized this is almost verbatim what Doyle says in SS. I hope I'm not sued for plagarism.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Play before is super important...

I think the most important factor is how how have you been playing up to now and how have the other players been playing?

If you have been playing very aggressively and stealing there's a good chance that they will think you are doing it again... full steam ahead.

If you have been playing super-tight, then maybe a slow-play is a good idea.

On average... giving players a chance to catch up with second best hands is a good idea.

... but don't get really aggresive with nothing and clam up with powerhouses. That's just weak poker.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:12 PM

mix it up.