Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 05:52 AM

Default More aggression on turn?

Was worried slightly about the straight but looking back I think a nice raise on the turn would have been better.
I just let him limp and catch on the river [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Thoughts?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

CO ($25.35)
Hero ($32.1)
SB ($24.25)
BB ($67.85)
UTG :#A500AF(Villain)/ ($10.35)
MP ($28.6)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG :#A500AF(Villain)/ raises to $1</font>, MP calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($3.35) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $0.25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $1</font>, Hero calls $1, Villain calls $0.75.

Turn: ($6.35) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1, Villain calls $1.

River: ($9.35) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $0.25</font>, MP calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25.

Final Pot: $10.10

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Villain has Qc Ad (one pair, aces).
MP has 2h 9d (one pair, twos).
Hero has 8s 8d (one pair, eights).
Outcome: Villain wins $10.10. </font>
Old 06-13-2005, 06:22 AM

Default Re: More aggression on turn?

You've got a super vulnerable hand on a draw heavy board. The flop is the time to take it down or let it go imo. Villain's bet is a joke and so is MP's raise, so if you think your overpair is good, reraise the flop to 3 or 4 and try to take it down there.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:24 PM

It is tough to win without raising, ever. Do you win pots regulalrly by calling down tiny bets? I really don't understand why people play like this, and I see it all the time at low stakes.

Bet like a man when you think you have the best hand and take down the pot. Your opponents rightly act like almost any two cards should call that turn bet with any sort of draw, including overcards.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:33 PM

why did you call on the flop? fold or raise...i'd fold.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:33 PM

The time to move is on the flop. Either fold it here because of the huge draw possibility of raise it up and try to take it there. If I got played back at I would think i was beat. If you get a call from the flop bet the player will most likly call the turn bet as well. But If you are sure they are drawing you HAVE to make them pay to see it.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:01 PM

Your title is "More aggression on turn?"

but you showed absolutely no aggression anywhere. Everything you did was call. So any aggression would be more aggression -- on every street.

So more aggression everywhere... not just on the turn.

Pf: Call may be fine... raise if you want to find out how good his hand really is. (I'd just call)
Flop: Yeah MP raised 4 times the bet, but that's still only 1/3 of the pot... re-raise a lot here to say 4-5. That or fold and wait for a better board on a different hand. (I'd raise)
Turn: Raise again here. He bet like 1/6 of the pot. You're not taking that bet seriously are you? Raise again to 3/4-full pot. More justification -&gt; doesn't complete the flush draw, or straight draw. A ten is probably not an over that someone is hoping to catch (maybe some goober w/ ATs or something, but odds are that didn't happen)
River: That card completes a lot of draws that people could have had. (OESD, flush, let me call this guy down w/ 2 overs and hope I catch....) But for $0.25 heck yeah I call that. You're hand probably isn't good anymore, but .25 for roughly $10 is well worth it just to find out.