Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 08:16 PM

Default KQ interesting hand

I felt this hand to be complicated when I played it, but I dont know why or what I did right/wrong.

Oppenant and I have a history. I know him to be a fairly tight player and I have also lagged it up when we play together. anyway... to the hand

3 handed. A few orbits have passed and oppenant has done nothing spectacular. Both of us have 450 behind. Oppenant raises to 14 on the button. I have KQo. I elect to call.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I didn't want to check-raise on this draw-heavy board and I didn't want to give free cards here so I lead for 25. Oppenant calls.

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check, he bets 50. I call.

This is the spot I want evaluated. I guess implicitly by check-calling, I wanted to play a bigger pot since I was fairly confident he would bet a lot of hands here (draws, 9T, two diamonds, AK, KJ, AJ, ) a decent percentage of the time given my laggy image and the board.

River: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check, he bets 90. I check-raise all in, he calls. I figure I have misrepresented my hand in such a way that it would cause enough confusion to get calls from a lot of hands.

Comments?

My own analysis on turn play: I like calling here ONLY if i know my oppenant will go crazy with a busted draw on the river. I also had some apprehension about having the best hand. If I bet here, I probably am not getting a river bluff from a busted draw since I've shown strength on 2/3 streets.

What would your line have been had a diamond hit on the river? If I check, he still bets close to the same amount of hands for value, except he won't bluff. Do I check call or bet out? I don't think he'd bluff a river given my check/call action on the turn if a third diamond hit.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Re: KQ interesting hand

I think I like calling river best. He easily could have a set. If he doesnt, what type of hand was he raising that he plays this way. Sure you miss some value, but he wont pay you off with AK, maaaaybe KJ.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:53 PM

I don't play this high but what hand does he call your flop bet with and you river cr? Nothing but a set I think.

Would he really call your river cr w AK on that board? I don't think so, or is there so much in the pot he couldn't now fold AK?

In your mind did it go like this
his pfr maybe AK or whatever
you hit tp and bet honest for value
his call is loose and distrustful of your bet
turn blank you give him an opportunity to jam at your weakness he does.
river K lucky you, you can now continue to feign weakness cuz he now has tptk and you cr all in thinking he can't fold.???

In his mind:
r pre w JJ
flop mid set and get a better, good, fish on, call.
turn oop opp checks so I value bet hoping tptk calls which he does.
river K oop opp checks, things still look good, value bet get r'ed all in and auto call.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:12 AM

I guess the reason why I think my river check-raise is +EV is because of my laggy reputation with this player and the size of the raise equalling the pot. Lets think about this hear, I have top two and made a pot raize after underrepresenting my hand. I think the times he makes a mistake and calls with a worse hand outweigh the times he has a better made hand.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:34 AM

Ok, your laggy rep gets a call from AK and KJ here and that will make up for the times you lose.

I wonder tho if you're really misrepresenting your hand anywhere but the river. Is that assessment "LAG specific"? Can villain not read your oop flop bet as tptk or so? Doesn't tptk often back off on the turn? - Maybe that's only TAG.

I do note that he only bet 50 into an 80 pot when checked to on the turn so it doesn't look like he loves his hand all that much and so maybe that's a sign you can't count on a call on the river by a worse hand - I don't know. If his turn and river bets are standard for him w strong hands you beat then yeah, I can see pushing to present a bluff of so.