Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How many total posts do you have?
0-1000 88 53.99%
1000-2000 30 18.40%
2000-3000 24 14.72%
3000-4000 2 1.23%
4000-5000 3 1.84%
5000-6000 0 0%
6000-7000 4 2.45%
7000-8000 3 1.84%
8000-10000 3 1.84%
10000+ 6 3.68%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2005, 11:29 AM

Default what\'s the right play?(tough decision)

$25+2 empire NL Tourney. 250 entrants. Down to 26(30 got paid). Blinds are 300/600. Avg stack 10,000. I have 7400. I'm two off the button and it's folded to me. I look down at pocket 8's.

I had been agressive lately but showed down reasonable hands.

Your play?

Comments appreciated
Old 09-19-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: what\'s the right play?(tough decision)

I know the "m thing" to do is to push, but I think that looks like a steal to opponents, so I'd raise to 2400, looking to take it down without a fight. Tough decision if faced with a re-raise...
Old 09-19-2005, 11:47 AM

I would raise 3-5x call a push and re raise all in if just raised against most players.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:47 AM

I voted Push-your hand has plenty of equity against a calling range (barring reads). A raise and fold would be horrible. Limping is OK too as you have position and if you flop an overpair chances are since no one raised preflop you have the best hand. But if you are raised after a limp you'll have to Push anyway so that's why Pushing in the first place is best. You want to win this pot.

Could you give some feedback on my thread? Thanks

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&fpart=1
Old 09-19-2005, 11:54 AM

I think it depends on the blinds and my table image here. How have I been playing previously? Pushing a lot? Raising a lot? Shown down good hands? Caught on a steal? Very tight? Have I raised from this position on earlier rounds? How have the blinds/players to my left been playing? Are they thinking players? Tight, Loose? Depending on what I think gives me the most FE in this situation, Ill either raise and call a push or push myself.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$25+2 empire NL Tourney. 250 entrants. Down to 26(30 got paid). Blinds are 300/600. Avg stack 10,000. I have 7400. I'm two off the button and it's folded to me. I look down at pocket 8's.

I had been agressive lately but showed down reasonable hands.

Your play?

Comments appreciated

[/ QUOTE ]

I refuse to answer the question without knowing the size of the stacks to act after me. If everyone has me well covered, I doubt I'm gonna push. If I have everyone covered by a lot, a push seems good here. I don't know, that influences a lot.

I don't quite like a push b/c you're not that desperate yet. I think I like 3-4x the B
Old 09-19-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I refuse to answer the question without knowing the size of the stacks to act after me. If everyone has me well covered, I doubt I'm gonna push. If I have everyone covered by a lot, a push seems good here. I don't know, that influences a lot.

I don't quite like a push b/c you're not that desperate yet. I think I like 3-4x the B

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy push regardless of the stack sizes, I think. The only hands you are really worried about are 99 - AA, and how often do they appear with only 3 people left to act (answer: about 7% of the time). Push, and if somebody with a bigger stack calls you, great.

This is especially easy given that you have been aggressive at the table. Hopefully your opponents have been paying attention.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:49 PM

Raise 3-4x and call a push.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:54 PM

I agree that we need more information. If the OP doesnt have any reads, this late in the tourney, about the styles of the people to his left; then we can't help him nearly as much as we could. Under a vacuum, I think I make a 2.5x-3.5x raise and call a push/push a reraise.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy push regardless of the stack sizes, I think. The only hands you are really worried about are 99 - AA, and how often do they appear with only 3 people left to act (answer: about 7% of the time). Push, and if somebody with a bigger stack calls you, great.

This is especially easy given that you have been aggressive at the table. Hopefully your opponents have been paying attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. If someone has me 4x covered, and looks down at overcards like AJ, thinking "this pusher is being real LAG, I'm probably at worst a coinflip and likely have an ace dominated, I'll take probably at worst a coinflip for only 1/4 my stack".

You've got CO, Button, and the blinds, who have to decide they don't like their hands. specially if you've got a big stack in the blind, he's likely to call.

I personally don't feel the need to trigger a race with ~14 BBs.