Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 06:11 AM

Default I Hate Games Where Everyone Limps Preflop

Does anyone else feel the same way? I find them frustrating. For some reason, it annoys me when I am the only I can't tell where I am at when some people limp with QQ or KK after at least one other player has already limped in.

I seem to do much better in games where almost every pot is opened with a raise that is more than the minimum. I'm winning in those sorts of games. I think I might actually be losing in the limp-fests. I think it has something to do with smaller pots that aren't worth stealing and can't be stolen anyways because it is almost always multiway and how my mind can't handle games where proper strategy might be to do a lot of limping and folding when you don't hit.

Are limp-fests the kind of game that I should just skip because I don't enjoy playing in them or are they profitable enough that I should learn to tolerate them?
Old 08-18-2005, 06:15 AM

Default Re: I Hate Games Where Everyone Limps Preflop

Perhaps you're not being aggressive enough for these games. With people mostly limping preflop you should be raising a larger variety of hands than you would at a typical LAG game. I enjoy the Limp-fests because I can basically walk all over the tables with aggression. You either need to adjust your style to the table, or find a table that fits your style better. You'll make more money adjusting your style... but it's up to you.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:26 AM

If you really don't enjoy those games, you shouldn't play them.
However, if you don't enjoy them just because your style doesn't work well in those games, I think you should learn how to adjust your play - that's a key-skill.

Myself, I love those games! Most people at this level who limp with their big hands aren't able to let go of them, which surely makes for some monster pots.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:55 AM

Can see your point, but I love these games. You can run over them and it doesnt take a huge adjustment as far as hand reading goes. Feeling out flops will be a little fuzzier but not impossible.

If you really dislike them, I say avoid them. There's money to be made in aggro games as well.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:16 AM

When there is a lot of limping, there is a lot of play on later streets. In games where there is a lot of preflop raising and reraising, somebody's all-in on the flop most of the time and you don't have to play poker on the turn and river. Games with lots of limping should be very profitable for a skilled player as they emphasize post-flop play.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:19 AM

The general philosophy I take in limp-fests is that my big pocket pairs are nearly useless and that less-than-stellar hands like suited connectors go up in value.

Still getting used to raising with hands like 89s. It just doesn't feel right to me.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:05 PM

Ghazban hit it on the head-- post-flop play is critical in NL games. I've been playing NL ring for about a year and that is an area that I have improved on and need to keep working on. It is fairly easy to have & maintain starting hand discipline (when to call/fold/raise) depending on position. Ability to evaluate where you stand after 3 cards are flopped is critical.

In games where stacks are fairly deep, a "limp-fest" can allow you to get in cheaply and win someone's stack. Not as valuable if limping for $5 when everyone's stack is $70 to $100 in a $100 max NL game (B&M).

Playing your hand post-flop does become a little more difficult when facing 5 opponents instead of 1 or 2.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:41 PM

I keep looking at HPFAP p165 (21st century edition) and read

[ QUOTE ]

If you ever saw a good no limit player against weak players, you will find that he is constantly limping in. He is playing about 1/3 of the hands and limping with almost all of them. He's giving up a little bit before the flop because he can outplay them later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Sklansky and Malmuth's contention isn't applicable to max buy in games?

It may sound strange, but I feel more comfortable raising a single early position raiser with 89s than I do six limpers when I am on the button.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:43 PM

Who are you people? Who doesn't like games full of loose, passive players?
Old 08-18-2005, 04:43 PM

I love this kind of games.
Where can I find them?