Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: reasons not to slowplay flopped nuts #37

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also if your only raising the flop with top pair type hands and slowplaying with strong hands, you become very readable.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? and do you mean from EP or from anywhere? - I raise with a lot more hands in LP than I do from UTG+1

I rarely slowplay any hands, 1 every other day maybe... it still frequently blows up in my face - and everytime it does I tell myself to stop doing it - tho I still continue [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

there are certain situations that call for slowplaying more than others. this one you can c/c the flop, but you had better be betting the turn.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:43 PM

Raise to 6 on the flop, if he has a 5 he calls, if he doesn't you aren't making any money with this hand anyway. I play this hand this way at 1/2 and the lone 5 calls every time. If he calls the $6 he won't fold when you put him in for his last $3 on the turn.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:49 PM

Turn: ($6.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, Villain checks.

River: ($6.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $2</font>,

Yes I *know* I should have bet the turn - this was a bad mistake. I wanted to checkraise but Villain checked behind me - quelle surprise - and a bit of a disaster.

tho having found myself in this situation I push (?) I still have a great hand and If I just got rivered it's my own stupid fault for not betting earlier...
Old 11-23-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: ($6.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, Villain checks.

River: ($6.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $2</font>,

Yes I *know* I should have bet the turn - this was a bad mistake. I wanted to checkraise but Villain checked behind me - quelle surprise - and a bit of a disaster.

tho having found myself in this situation I push (?) I still have a great hand and If I just got rivered it's my own stupid fault for not betting earlier...

[/ QUOTE ]

check raises are so overrated.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:53 PM

Many are advocating not slowplaying this hand and betting the pot, at least on the Turn if not every street.

That strikes me as a worse EV play than Checking the Turn and Potting the River.

The board is extremely draw heavy, which bodes great for you because your hand will win a lot of money from a completed draw. By knocking out any draws right now you lose tons of EV.

The argument that you want a bigger pot size by the River is only relevant when the opponent has something he can call a pre-River bet with. I acknowledge that the times they have something like top pair or a PP that you can make about 25% more chips by betting Turn and River than just River. But this is not enough equity to outweigh the argument for slowplaying.

By being aggressive before the River you lessen the chances of being read as a bluff when you Pot the River. Therefore your chances of being called on the River decreases substantially as well.

Without going into a detailed mathematical breakdown, there are many good reasons to slowplay this on the Turn.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:54 PM

so you are advising to check the turn as well?
Old 11-23-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand is utterly confusing. First of all, you didn't flop the nuts. Second of all you say you're worried about raising the turn when no one has even bet. How do you raise when no one has bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

many apologies if my mistitled thread has caused you to waste time reading my dnkish post.

I shall try to make sure I make things less confusing in the future.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also if your only raising the flop with top pair type hands and slowplaying with strong hands, you become very readable.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? and do you mean from EP or from anywhere? - I raise with a lot more hands in LP than I do from UTG+1

I rarely slowplay any hands, 1 every other day maybe... it still frequently blows up in my face - and everytime it does I tell myself to stop doing it - tho I still continue [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its ok to slowplay sometimes, Just dont get into the trap of only playing hands you need to protect agressively and hands you dont passively. If you always do this, thinking players will know what you have.

My friend who taught me poker, (and plays online for a living) started out by making me never slowplay, never bluff (continuatino bets though). If I think Im ahead, bet or raise 2/3 of the pot until Im all-in or think im losing. He had me making a profit right away.

It sounds really simple, but if somone is betting out or comming back at you and you dont know if he has top pair/2 pair/ overpair/ trips...... Its very hard know where you stand.

I guess the point is, always playing agressively I was still stacking people with my monster hands. Sure alot of times Id make the standard bet and everyone would fold, but sometimes Id get raised/called down with TPTK.

Its really a little off topic, nothings been posted to suggest you always slowplay flops. Was just some food for thought. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so you are advising to check the turn as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

That strikes me as a worse EV play than Checking the Turn and Potting the River.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
Old 11-23-2005, 01:41 PM

You do not make money at NLHE by slowplaying these hands.