Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2004, 10:51 AM

Default Need to find more ways too build a stack early

Im sure you guys have heard this a few thousand times before but im new here and searched the threads without finding an answer for my question so bear with me. Im a relatively new player(5 months in) and do pretty well. Ive won 4 online tournies and have had a few close calls. I mostly play the 5-10-20 dollar buy in tourneys and prefer tournies with 100-300 players. Im pretty much tight aggressive but i did start out as a total rock and probably dont play postion as well as i should.
My real problem is accumulating a stack. I follow a few of the superior players on Ub(my home site) and it seems as though they always can triple up fairly quickly( the first break) My goal is usually too double up but even then im pretty handcuffed as to the number of flops i can see as well as semi-bluffing opportunites. I really believe the key too winning MTT's is accumulating the stack necessary too loosen yur game up(ive done this a few times and i can play a stack very well(once a won a 2500 person freeroll after i tripled up on the 2nd hand). So basically im asking how do these players consistently double or triple up so fast? Im sure it has something to do with just seeing a ton of cheap flops with marginal hands(something i have a hard time doing) but some specific advice would be great. I'm very good at trapping when catchin on the flop so im not hopeless just need some pointers thanx.
Also what is the optimum way too play early in tournies i always thought ultra tight was right but im really starting too question whether you can win tournies with that "rock" strategy.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Need to find more ways too build a stack early

The play is pretty crazy and way too loose early in low buyin tournaments, so I can understand playing real tight. Obviously, it's hard to triple up playing tight.

The betting generally gets excessive relative to the hands and blinds, so you want to play very strong hands and get payed off for them. Try to get the money preflop with big hands. With AA and KK it is easy, but you have to be careful with QQ, JJ, and AK, and more so with TT, 99, and AQ. This may require some reading. Obviously, don't call raises and rerraises with marginal hands (like a lot of your opponents will) unless you are getting the proper implied odds for you are getting the proper implied odds for your pair, suited connector, or whatever.

You want to play speculative hands, particularly pairs, since you will usually be paid off big if you hit. Don't bluff much. Sometimes a semibluff is correct based on the strength of your draw or if the action and nature of the flop implies that it may be successful. Don't try to steal the blinds. Don't try to win the pot with a pot sized bet when the flop is 7 high and you have A7. Playing top pair is difficult since if you get action it is hard to tell if you are ahead.

I don't think anyone triples up all the time. The players that triple up alot probably bust out a lot. Incidently don't be afraid of busting out early. There was a discussion on another thread of how Raymer was the first to bust out of an online tournament.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:36 PM

You use the word "too" when you should be using the word "to". You do it throughout the post. Why do you do that? It interferes with my ability to formulate a plan for building stacks early in tournaments.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:57 PM

That gets my vote as the funniest post of the day. That was just to damn funny.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to damn funny

[/ QUOTE ] haha