Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Two More AK hands

No reads.

Hand #1

When is it correct to raise the flop with only AK?

This felt kind of weak. However, I didn't want to put myself in a situation where I took the lead and was betting against a pair and he calls down all the way.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5.75 BB

Hand #2

When is it correct to wait for the turn to raise when the flop hits you?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
Old 12-19-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Two More AK hands

hand 1 -what's your read on UTG?

hand 2 - raise the flop
Old 12-19-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This felt kind of weak. However, I didn't want to put myself in a situation where I took the lead and was betting against a pair and he calls down all the way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't forget that you have position here, use it to your advantage
Old 12-19-2005, 07:40 PM

Hand 1.
Having 1:7 I whould buy a free card here, and may be would force UTG to fold such hands as AJ and AT or KQ.
But it is a blind response, reads in this case are crucial.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:40 PM

I had no read on UTG at the time. Later on I learned that he was a very LAG.

In hand 2 why is raising the flop better?

I didn't really want him to fold to the flop raise or on the turn after that because I had him where I wanted him. He probably had a medium pocket pair or weaker A. I thought I could squeeze out an extra bet by waiting until the turn.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:42 PM

I personally think you should raise the flop sometimes and wait till the turn sometimes. Only heads up though. If there are more players, you should bet and make the others pay to draw.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1.
Having 1:7 I whould buy a free card here, and may be would force UTG to fold such hands as AJ and AT or KQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it makes sense to raise the AK when you are going for a free card?

How would the read alter the decision?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had no read on UTG at the time. Later on I learned that he was a very LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]
So that would make you want to....
[ QUOTE ]

In hand 2 why is raising the flop better?

I didn't really want him to fold to the flop raise or on the turn after that because I had him where I wanted him. He probably had a medium pocket pair or weaker A. I thought I could squeeze out an extra bet by waiting until the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Deception for one. Villian may donk the turn putting you on a flush or something. Also it becomes easier to win pots uncontested on the flop if you strategy isn't "I wait till the turn to raise my good hands." And, I would like to know with a flop 3bet by villian where I stand rather than a 3bet on turn. And....
Old 12-19-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it makes sense to raise the AK when you are going for a free card?

How would the read alter the decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes, yes. Lots of players bets automatically on preflop raiser on such flop when heads-up and fold to raise.
The second option is to see the turn (but only if the player is passive). When their bluff on flop fails weak/passive usually give up on turn and your bet may win the pot.
No free cards with LAG! He may face you with the 3-d raise. Just call him down.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:48 AM

i like both hands sans reads.

Hand #1: that is NOT a ragged flop. sets, draws and the like all hit. i think a player donking a 3-bettor is usually wanted to 3-bet, which you really don't want since you would be seeing the turn. that turn card is ugly for all donking draws and such a small pot, it really isn't worth looking him up here.

hand #2: you are probably WA more than WB, some times i even wait 'til the river against aggressive opponents. but the turn is just as good.