I hope he goes down as a total tard.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:27 PM

Default They brought back Tony LaRussa

What crap.

What stupid crap.

I hope he goes down as a total tard.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: They brought back Tony LaRussa

i saw this about an hour ago and i thought this would be the response here. haha. i mean, he did manage the team to its first world series...
Old 11-01-2005, 01:28 AM

Default Re: They brought back Phil Garner

Maybe we should get Jimy Williams back instead?

Garner is a great manager.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe we should get Jimy Williams back instead?

Garner is a great manager.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is almost worth creating a Cal Eldred gimmick account, but I'll just link to this instead.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:02 AM

and then in the world series, he made really big mistakes. many of them, including publicly denouncing his team during the WS.

f that.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:26 AM

Sorry, but I feel that Garner simply called a spade a spade. It wasn't his fault the team can't get a simple base hit or even a freaking sacrifice fly when we need it. It's not his fault freaking Willy T couldn't even get a bat on the ball when even a groundout would tie the game. It's not his fault our supposed big-time hitter Ensberg strikes out when even a double-play gets the tying run home.

The team didn't execute, plain and simple. The White Sox didn't play well this series and the Stros had plenty of chances, but choked.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:32 AM

He had chances to change that lineup, he didnt. He kept baggy in DHing and PHing when he couldnt hit the broadside of a barn. He takes out our only performing pitcher after only 100 pitches, and then puts in the guy who's given away two games.

These are awful mistakes. I guess we just had to reward him for the WS.

He didnt do much to get us there, except keep people in when we were down and out in the beginning of the season.

Why does he deserve this endless praise again?
Old 11-01-2005, 03:52 AM

Man...halfway through 2004, the Astros were the picture of awful. They had plenty of talent, but absolutely sucked. They hire Garner, and the team rebounds, wins the wildcard, wins its first playoff series EVER, and get to the NLCS for the first time since 1986. Then, this season...the team started off in a huge hole due to injuries and so many young players -- he helps engineer the turnaround, win the wildcard, take the team to a second-straight NLCS, win the pennant for the first time EVER, and make it to the World Series.

Certainly, I agree he made mistakes during the WS (I even posted about that)...but come ON -- who else do you want managing this team? After what the Astros have accomplished over the last two seasons, you think Garner deserves to be FIRED? Gotta be kidding me.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:46 PM

Yet Guillen throws gum out of his mouth, and a water bottle in the dugout b/c his players couldn't execute.

As a Houstonian, I'm THRILLED that Garner is back! Everyone else can suck it. Two seasons here he's led us to within 1 game of the WS in '04, and into the WS in '05.

That is the best showing for any team in all of MLB over the last two years.

But it would be nice to have an over-priced mannequin like Torre leading our troops. Or how 'bout Bobby Cox? Or Dusty Baker?

LOLOLOL

Yes, Tom Verducci knows how the players feel about Gar! HAHAHA. Ausmus loves Garner b/c Garner loves Ausmus. Garner has publicly said that Ausmus will be a manager some day and that he is going to try to help make that happen for him. No link. It was on local radio talk show, but still, that says a lot.

GREAT TO HAVE YOU BACK GARNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!