Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-07-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: The Pats do not \"own\" Peyton Manning.

[ QUOTE ]
Since the game had low scoring, every first down was important.

Trying to throw deep would play right into the hands of the defense, and would most likely result in a wasted down. A sack or an interception were other possibilities. In other words, if I put a lot of effort into stopping the deep pass, then I want the offense to try and throw deep on me.

The Colts best chance was to successfully attack the weaknesses of the defense with short passes and the running game. If that works, you can school the defense without deep passes. You can also force the defense to focus less on the deep pass if you're successful. The problem for the Colts is they just weren't physical enough, and they didn't execute that well. I saw too much wincing when the Patriots players hit the Indy receivers.

They had only one sack because the Colts weren't trying to go deep. If they tried that, I think Manning would have been sacked more often. Also, you don't need to sack the quarterback in order to disrupt the Colts offense with pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

They scored three points in the game using your strategy of taking what the defense gave them and that's the bottom line. You can talk all you want about execution, but unless we're going over the game tape together and looking at specific plays its worthless.

You cannot be successful in the long run just consistently throwing the ball for short yardage. You either need to mix in the run better in order to decrease the inherent risk-taking that attends the passing game or you need to throw deeper in order to decrease the number of first downs necessary to score points. Attempting to force other teams into this situation is the entire Belichick philosophy of defense in a nutshell, and the teams that are successful against his defenses do things to redictate the nature of the game, rather than taking what he offers them.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Pats "own" the Colts. The Colts have lost to the Pats 4 times now due to just about everyone except Peyton Manning. Let's look at the stats.

2004 Divisional Playoffs: 27/42, 238 yards, one garbage time INT.
2004 Week 1: 16/29, 256 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT
2003 Conference Championship: 23/47, 237, 1 TD, 4 INT
2003 Week 13: 29/48, 278, 4 TD, 1 INT

Looks to me like he's played pretty well in 3 games and pretty awful in one. Yet, everyone you talk to will say Peyton Manning chokes against the Pats. Manning doesn't choke; everyone else on the team chokes. For example, let's take a look at why the Colts only scored three points last year in the playoffs.

Edgerrin James had 14 carries for 39 yards. His longest carry was 7 yards. He had 0 first downs. The Colts picked up no first downs on the ground! They also lost two fumbles.

How is that Peyton's fault? The Colts were not able to get anything going on the ground at all. Considering how good his opponent was, he played pretty damned well. The only problem is, he was the only one that did.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the same apporach I take when I defend Garnett for not winning enough in the playoffs. And deep down I don't buy any of it.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Patriots are the reigning champs and the Colts are not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll save my talk till after the game, I just wanted to make sure you know how absolutely pointless LAST year is. If you need assistance, ask teams like St. Louis and Baltimore following their championships.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or check with the '03 Pats, following their championship....never mind.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:09 PM

Dammit...all this talk about tonights game has me spittin' blood with excitement...I can barely concentrate on my 4 tables and this at the same time...

MDoranD
Old 11-07-2005, 08:43 PM

despite nice numbers, peyton chumped with game on the line in those other games