Old 09-15-2005, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Bill Maher gets it right in his advice to Bush

A-Fukin'-men.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bill Maher put it very well on HBO the other night:

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that Bush is about average as a President. He has done some things well, and he has screwed up some things royally. I'm starting to lean towards maybe a little below average.

That said, I think that Bush does a better job as President than Bill Maher does as either a comedian or a political commentator.

Maher is not funny except to the rabid anti-Bush choir he preaches to. Anyone could get a laugh with that crowd with any kind of cheap shot.

Maher has zero political insight. He claims to be politicall incorrect, but his whole act consists of spouting the standard Hollywood ultraliberal party line without thought. (He does have good writers, so he comes off as more articulate than blatherers like Streisand and Baldwin.) I don't always agree with the politics of people like Rush Limbaugh or Pat Buchanan, but they have an impressive grasp of politics and history, and can give you a genuine different look at issues. Maher isn't even a light-weight in comparison.

Maher is crude and offensive, and goes for cheap laughs through shock value. I stopped watching him when he made lewd references to prepubescent fantasies about women teachers seducing school boys, implying that was OK, but men seducing girls was bad stuff.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't always agree with the politics of people like Rush Limbaugh or Pat Buchanan, but they have an impressive grasp of politics and history, and can give you a genuine different look at issues. Maher isn't even a light-weight in comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, any time I want the view of my local, backwoods clansman I listen to Rush. Rush's viewpoint is very different than the logical, enlightened viewpoint of most any other source from which I get information. I thought Rush was particularly enlightening when he said black quarterbacks were overrated and only got their jobs because the media favors them.

How often do you actually disagree with Rush or Pat? I'm guessing never.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Rush was particularly enlightening when he said black quarterbacks were overrated and only got their jobs because the media favors them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course Rush never said that, but hey, twist how you need to in order to maintain your irrational hate.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought Rush was particularly enlightening when he said black quarterbacks were overrated and only got their jobs because the media favors them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course Rush never said that, but hey, twist how you need to in order to maintain your irrational hate.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a direct quote of the drug addled ditto master himself.

“I think the sum of what you're all saying is that Donavan McNabb is regressing, he's going backward, Sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go.
The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

And since Mcnabb is a lock hall of famer the comment revealed the truth about pill popping conservative standard bearer. Rush, in his pain relieved haze, once again blames the media this time for creating an illusion around Mcnabb.
It's so silly to defend Rush on this comment. He clearly had no idea WTF he was talking about and it's clearly his default mode.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:39 AM

An article from Slate regarding Rush's comments. And I've never known Slate for sucking up to major conservative talk show hosts, but I could be wrong. Btw, Michael Irving, one of the commentators present, said Rush had a point.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a direct quote of the drug addled ditto master himself.

[ QUOTE ]
“I think the sum of what you're all saying is that Donavan McNabb is regressing, he's going backward, Sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go.
The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

And since Mcnabb is a lock hall of famer the comment revealed the truth about pill popping conservative standard bearer. Rush, in his pain relieved haze, once again blames the media this time for creating an illusion around Mcnabb.
It's so silly to defend Rush on this comment. He clearly had no idea WTF he was talking about and it's clearly his default mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I was right, Rush didnt say what Newfant claimed Rush said. Furthermore, McNabb didnt have that good a year, the one to which Rush was referring, and the strength of the team at that time was clearly the defense. Anyhow, I dont want to debate football here, we have forums for that. But thanks for pointing out that I was in fact correct in my OP.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:48 AM

Default Best line

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you're just not lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could be poker talk. Maher as shark, Bush as fish.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:53 AM

Default Buttheads

[ QUOTE ]
If ChristinaB says it, it has approximately NOTHING to do with reality. Just a heads-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill Maher said it. ChristinaB quoted him, verbatim.

Just a heads-up.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:55 AM

Default A george

[ QUOTE ]
If Al Gore had been elected, would the terrorists not have attacked on 9/11? If John Kerry was elected in 2004, would Katrina not have hit as hard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly not.

Bill Maher already covered that :

[ QUOTE ]
"Maybe you're just not lucky."

[/ QUOTE ]