Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2004, 12:04 AM

Default put to the test on the turn

foxwoods 10/20, very good game, they're limping in with almost everything and chasing to the river if they have a piece of the board. At least 3 or 4 players look like they've never played the game before. I may have been slightly hallucinating at the time, as on my way back from the bathroom I see Joe Tall playing 2/4.

my second hand back, five limpers and I raise in the SB with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. They all call

Flop K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]-3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]-2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I bet and get called in three spots.

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet and get raised by an EP player. Everyone else folds, back to me. I really have no read on this player. As a matter of fact, I hadn't even seen him at the table before this hand. What now? If you continue with the hand, how do you play it and what do you do on the river? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:12 AM

Default Re: put to the test on the turn

The only really big mistake would be folding in this big pot. I think you should probably just call him down, why get fancy?
Old 09-08-2004, 12:14 AM

Fold. EP isn't bluffing 3 players without a made hand here. Your best case scenario is you're against two pair, but the worst case scenario has you drawing dead to a set or straight.

This reeks of 54 for the turned straight, and he need to protect his hand against the flush.

FWIW, I wouldn't have raised preflop with KJs.

Garland
Old 09-08-2004, 04:08 AM

Don't you think his opponent could be getting funky with 44, 55, 65, maybe KTs or KJ, 77-99? The turn action went bet, raise, all fold. His opponent could be raising with worse hand, attempting to limit the field, take a free showdown in a decent pot. I didn't read the turn raise as a bluff into three opponents, but more as a limit the field in a raised pot.

Then again, I have been raising on the turn like his opponent did, probably too much, but I am running good. The other day, I had my biggest win ever at 20-40 (4 grand), on the first hand -

UTG limps, LAG raise, TOM cold calls, I call in BB with Jx9h. Flop JXX all hearts. LAG bets, TOM raises, I cold call, LAG calls. Turn Blank. I check raise TOM, LAG folds, TOM folds AJ. A few hands were like this.

What I am trying to say is my judgment in this hand might be clouded by my own play lately.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:13 AM

Check/call down the rest is fine unless you could pull off a c/r on that flop as the PFR but it's doubtful.

I see Joe Tall playing 2/4.

I came down with friends that don't get to play often so I was waiting for them and figured the best way to keep an eye on their game was to sit in it. Good time actually.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 09-08-2004, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold. EP isn't bluffing 3 players without a made hand here. Your best case scenario is you're against two pair, but the worst case scenario has you drawing dead to a set or straight.

This reeks of 54 for the turned straight, and he need to protect his hand against the flush.

FWIW, I wouldn't have raised preflop with KJs.

Garland

[/ QUOTE ]

You give your opponents alot more credit than I do. And why on earth wouldn't you raise PF? I think overall people would save alot of money if they vowed to never fold top pair heads up. Just my opinion.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The turn action went bet, raise, all fold. His opponent could be raising with worse hand, attempting to limit the field, take a free showdown in a decent pot. I didn't read the turn raise as a bluff into three opponents, but more as a limit the field in a raised pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how I was thinking. There are some opponents in the game that I would fold to instantly on the turn here because usually I'll be drawing dead. What I didn't know about this player was wheter he was one of those players that I have to pay off or not.

I chose to call. The river came 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Is this a good card for me? Now what?
Old 09-09-2004, 01:36 PM

6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is actually a "good" card for you in that it offers counterfeit opportunities in case your opponent had a hand like K2 or K3.

Regardless, if you were going to call the turn, you must call the river no matter what comes down if for nothing else but information.

My decision to fold at this point is somewhat opponent specific, but 90% of the poker population is going to put you on AK after the preflop raise and the turn raiser basically says he can beat that. I still feel a fold is correct in this spot unless your opponent has shown tendancies to get out of line.

Garland
Old 09-09-2004, 01:53 PM

The river card makes no difference. If you call the turn raise you are calling the river. I might CR if a J came on the river, but that is about it. Otherwise, I am check/calling.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:05 PM

If he could have 54s, couldn't he have 32s, 63s, K3s, K2s, etc.? Is it possible he's semi-bluffing with 44, etc.? The problem is, this pot is too large to be wrong even a small percentage of the time.