Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Party 2/4 AQo MP1

No real read on villain---he was new to table.

Hero is MP1 with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

3 folds, Hero raises, 2 folds, CO calls, button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero bets, CO raises, BB folds, Hero calls

Turn 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks, CO bets...

What now? And should I have folded the flop after the raise?
Old 02-08-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Party 2/4 AQo MP1

3-betting the flop was my initial thought but i think check/raising a turn blank is a better line. with that total blank on the turn, i'd check/raise.

what'd have been your plan if it was the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?
Old 02-08-2005, 02:59 PM

I would never have checked the turn...=) I'd bet into him again, AND I'd call a raise and call the river if no heart hit...
Old 02-08-2005, 03:02 PM

No way do you fold the flop. You will often be raised in this situation by a worse A, 4 to a flush, or some random hand raising a scary flop.

Against an unknown, I call down here unless a fourth heart shows on the turn. If the 4th heart comes on the river and he bets again, that's a bit tougher...I'd probably pay him off, but the pot odds wouldn't be there.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:03 PM

Well I figured he didn't have a flush, else he would have just called my flop bet. His raise made me think he either had an Ace or had a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (perhaps both). In hindsight, I know I should have reraised the flop or folded.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:05 PM

yeah a stop and go does have some merit on this flop. if he's on a heart draw, you dont want to give him a chance to take a free card. it also helps to define his hand. if he just calls the turn bet, it's likely he's on the draw. if he raises the turn, i think you can give him credit for at least a big ace.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:06 PM

folding the flop would have been bad
Old 02-08-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-betting the flop was my initial thought but i think check/raising a turn blank is a better line. with that total blank on the turn, i'd check/raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is a turn c/r really wise? A weaker A folds, a heart draw calls and then folds to a blank river, and a made flush 3-bets you. Once Hero checked the turn, I'd much rather call and hope that a weaker hand will bet a non-heart river.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is a turn c/r really wise? A weaker A folds, a heart draw calls and then folds to a blank river, and a made flush 3-bets you. Once Hero checked the turn, I'd much rather call and hope that a weaker hand will bet a non-heart river.

[/ QUOTE ]

The chances of a weaker A folding to a cr here is pretty slim. You don't see too many people bet/folding at 2/4 with Top Pair even on scary boards. Weaker Aces will call you down all day long.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once Hero checked the turn, I'd much rather call and hope that a weaker hand will bet a non-heart river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that Hero is out of position. I don't see any way that you can check a non-heart river here. Regardless of whether you call or 3-bet the flop I think you have to come out betting the turn and river when they are not a heart.