Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2004, 01:47 AM

Default Is Phil Helmuth even THAT good?

I'm reading his article at http://www.philhellmuth.com/hotw.html and I'm starting to seriously question if he could even turn a profit at online tournaments. His play seems incredibly weak like he always assumes his opponent has him beat. Phil also doesn't seem to adjust to the calibre of opponent he is in the pot with.

Also maybe I'm retarded but it seems like he's making fundamental mistakes like smooth calling with Kings in a multi-way raised pot and then folding when rags flop? What the hell is he doing? Or he knows his opponent is bluffing but rather than shut him down he lets him catch an overcard?

The worst is how Phil will say "I put him on pocket Jacks but I folded my Queens anyways, he showed 7's but that's alright, don't want a 7 to come off and break me". What world does he live in? He gets a read that he is a 4-1 favorite to call all-in but he folds for fear he'll be drawn out on? How will he ever win a tournament playing like that?

I'm starting to think Helmuth sucks.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Is Phil Helmuth even THAT good?

One thing is for sure...

He is about the whiniest SOB I've ever seen. I especially love the way he is 'entitled' to these pots that he lost and when someone who flops top pair to Phil's overpair and then hits their kicker on the river, Phil's suffered a bad beat.

What the hell is this crap?

Now, near the end, I actually did have tears in my eyes behind my fine mirrored Oakleys, so that no one could see them. Why had all of this BS happened to me? Are you kidding me? Is this even remotely fair? At the break my parents had finally arrived in town to console me, and pump me up.

Mommy and Daddy have to come to town to 'pump him up'?

Good lord. Does this guy really think that with 2500 something entrants that he's going to be at the final table every damn year?
Old 05-31-2004, 02:35 AM

Sounds like someone still has self-esteem issues.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:38 PM

Phil sounds like he has happy feet. He maybe just mentally shot. There is a reason why Fischer can't beat top chess pros anymore, it could be the same reason why Phil can't win anymore..........
Old 05-31-2004, 09:02 PM

What the heck are you talking about? He won two friggin WSOP bracelets last year!!!!
Old 06-01-2004, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fischer can't beat top chess pros anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

are you kidding?
Old 06-02-2004, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Fischer can't beat top chess pros anymore

are you kidding?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's true. He is not at all a strong GM by today's standards.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I especially love the way he is 'entitled' to these pots that he lost and when someone who flops top pair to Phil's overpair and then hits their kicker on the river, Phil's suffered a bad beat.

What the hell is this crap?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say its a bad beat.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm reading his article at http://www.philhellmuth.com/hotw.html and I'm starting to seriously question if he could even turn a profit at online tournaments. His play seems incredibly weak like he always assumes his opponent has him beat. Phil also doesn't seem to adjust to the calibre of opponent he is in the pot with.

Also maybe I'm retarded but it seems like he's making fundamental mistakes like smooth calling with Kings in a multi-way raised pot and then folding when rags flop? What the hell is he doing? Or he knows his opponent is bluffing but rather than shut him down he lets him catch an overcard?

The worst is how Phil will say "I put him on pocket Jacks but I folded my Queens anyways, he showed 7's but that's alright, don't want a 7 to come off and break me". What world does he live in? He gets a read that he is a 4-1 favorite to call all-in but he folds for fear he'll be drawn out on? How will he ever win a tournament playing like that?

I'm starting to think Helmuth sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't play to win anymore, he plays to not lose.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:21 AM

Fisher doesn't play in tourneys or anything he went into hiding 4 the 2nd time. And Phil is a good tourney player but poor attitude and ring game player