Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: something i have been doing of late

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
because, its optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell that to Schneids or Nikla?

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon. You can't be serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I do think learning to be a 30/20 player is quite valuable even if being a 30/20 player isn't necessarily the most profitable mode of play in today's games. You should know that.

Rob
Old 11-21-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I do think learning to be a 30/20 player is quite valuable even if being a 30/20 player isn't necessarily the most profitable mode of play in today's games. You should know that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do and I agree with it but that's an entirely different conversation.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:27 PM

C'mon Bob, you know better. (or maybe not)

Making correct decisions is what matters in any limit. Playing "30/20" for the sake of doing it is just plain dumb. As a matter of fact, IF Nikla were playing 10/20 on Party right now, I can safely say that his stats would NOT be 30/20.

According to Nikla :

"Gameconditions dictate what kind of vpip and pfr you can have. A 30/20 type of style in the passive 6-handed 10/20 games will often turn into a 24/xx style in the higher 6-handed limits just because the game is that much more aggressive."

Is his 10/20 description in line with the 10/20 games right now? If not, maybe HUSH should re-evaluate their playing style.

As far as the small limits go:

If you make every correct decision in $1/$2, there is no way on earth you will have 30/20 stats.

To make it simple, you don't "choose" your stats, they choose you. If you force yourself to fit into certain numbers because people "say so", you will really be scratching your head and wondering where you went wrong.
VPIP and PFR numbers are a RESULT of your play, and it's not the other was around.

Hopefully, I've saved you some time, money and aggrevation. Just something for you to think about before you continue with your random experimentations.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:29 PM

Yeah this is the complete opposite for me.
At 3/6 and 5/10 I was a 24-25/18.

At 10/20 I'm a 28-29/19.

I make a lot of strange raises for free cards, 3 bet to isolate every day of the week, pretty much do all that stuff you guys put in your 1 line responses. and it's a good time.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

To make it simple, you don't "choose" your stats, they choose you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. When I moved from 5/10 to 10/20, my VPIP and PFR moved up by 3-5% each without me making any changes to my standards.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do and I agree with it but that's an entirely different conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Threads like this are why people still think you're a nit [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

The problem with trying to play lag at the low limits is that I think you miss some of why you play lag, because you can't really isolate a whole table.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C'mon Bob, you know better. (or maybe not)

Making correct decisions is what matters in any limit. Playing "30/20" for the sake of doing it is just plain dumb. As a matter of fact, IF Nikla were playing 10/20 on Party right now, I can safely say that his stats would NOT be 30/20.

According to Nikla :

"Gameconditions dictate what kind of vpip and pfr you can have. A 30/20 type of style in the passive 6-handed 10/20 games will often turn into a 24/xx style in the higher 6-handed limits just because the game is that much more aggressive."

Is his 10/20 description in line with the 10/20 games right now? If not, maybe HUSH should re-evaluate their playing style.

As far as the small limits go:

If you make every correct decision in $1/$2, there is no way on earth you will have 30/20 stats.

To make it simple, you don't "choose" your stats, they choose you. If you force yourself to fit into certain numbers because people "say so", you will really be scratching your head and wondering where you went wrong.
VPIP and PFR numbers are a RESULT of your play, and it's not the other was around.

Hopefully, I've saved you some time, money and aggrevation. Just something for you to think about before you continue with your random experimentations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post, though I still think there's a lot of value in various games (not necessarily .5/1) in playing differently than you normally would to see how various types of players adjust to you. That won't make you a 30/20 player at 10/20 (nor should it), but it will help you learn how people react to your adjustments in general.

Rob
Old 11-21-2005, 02:45 PM

i think alot of preflop threads are good, but some are just [censored] ridiculous.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. When I moved from 5/10 to 10/20, my VPIP and PFR moved up by 3-5% each without me making any changes to my standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't this merely mean that you ran hotter?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't this merely mean that you ran hotter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. You can just be comming into more spots where your standards allow continuing in the hand.