Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Play a Foxwoods hand with me

[ QUOTE ]
So, if he has AX, I want more money in the pot, check calling may be the only way to accomplish this.

[/ QUOTE ]
when you say "X", do you mean a card smaller than anything on the board?
of course wed like to play a pot as big as possible if we magically knew he had this, but dont you (this may be nuts) think that betting might accomplish this "getting more $ in the pot thing?

[ QUOTE ]
If he has AQ, AJ betting may induce a raise or a call, we would prefer he raise, so we can fold, but if he calls, we are in a tough spot on the river unless a diamond falls.

[/ QUOTE ]
wow. do you really mean this?
if we bet and he calls, we are allowed to check and fold the river even for the minimum bet! you are hoping to be raised out of a pot w/ a draw to the nuts?
you cant possibly be this stupid, i hope you were joking.

[ QUOTE ]
If he has a OE Sd, he will probably fold, which I am fairly indifferent towards.

[/ QUOTE ]
you are indifferent about possibly allowing your opponent to fold a good draw to a hand that beats us? possibly a draw that could be completed by the same card that would make us aces up?
jesus...
Old 11-19-2005, 03:39 PM

2 things, Tom: 1. We want our opponent to make a mistake. 2. This pot is big enough and the board scary enough that we'd like to take it down now.

Your opponent is more likely to make a mistake if we set him up to do so. If we check, he can correctly check behind with his str8draw, weak ace, etc. We set him up to make the right play. He can actively make a bad play or passively make the right play. If we bet an amount he shouldn't call with 8 outs, then we set him up to make a bad play. He can actively make the right play by folding (which we are certainly happy with) or he can passively make an incorrect play by calling.

Also, I don't really see weaker hands betting if we check. Again, we are going on the theory that we bet out on the flop. If we check here, most weaker hands check behind, though some players HAVE to bet if you check to them. The one problem is that betting allows your opponent to bet you out on this nice turn. However, he can STILL bet you out if you check to him. Only difference is that you can bet HIM out if you check/raise the turn, but you gotta have balls to do that. I don't have balls, so I bet out. (that and I can't count on him to bet for me).
Old 11-19-2005, 11:05 PM

Well, after much deliberation, I couldn't find a fold and called his bet. He showed 98o