Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 04:40 AM

Default Omaha hand.

33$ PLO tourny. 139 started, 18 ITM.

Down to last 10, hand-to-hand play for the FT. 10th place pays 51$, 9th place pays 71$.

I'm 9th in chips, shortstacked with about 8k. Shortstack at the other table got about 3k, which is 5 BB's.

I'm on the BB with AdKd7d8d. It folds to the SB, who's a complete maniac who raised every hand that folded to him in the last 40 minutes.

It folds to him and he raises to 1800 (1200 more for me to call). Do I re-raise here, fold and wait for the SS to get blinded off, call and see a flop and decide from there?

My hand isn't a hand I'd call a raise with usually, but he basically can have any 4 cards.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:49 AM

Default Re: Omaha hand.

Forget about waiting for the short stack, A)this is PL not NL so it takes longer and B)the 20 bucks is not a pay jump at all and I hope you realize that.

The sole question is how AK87s ranks against a random hand, and I suspect in Omaha the answer is 'pretty average', so you may as well see a flop in position or something and proceed if you flop anything worthwhile (whatever counts as worthwhile in Omaha, since I've got no clue.) If 'worthwhile' happens less than, say, 40% of the time, and your hand beats the average hand, reraise instead.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:55 AM

I did call.

Flop came K53, rainbow, one diamond.

SB bets 2300, I got 6300 left, and I have no idea where I stand.

I got top pair with a backdoor flush draw (which is unlikely, since I'm holding 4 cards from the same suit) against a pretty random hand.

I guess this is more of a question for Omaha "experts", and I'm certainly not one of 'em. I'll try the omaha forum.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:35 AM

I think I'd put it in here on the flop. Small blind is not betting like he has much and the pay jump from 10th to 9th isn't that big. It's a close decision since you don't have a redraw, but with so few chips left, I think I'd gamble here. If he has aces which is unlikely given that you said he was raising a very wide range of hands, you still have quite a few outs.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:37 AM

I would fold preflop. SB may be a maniac, but AK87 all one suit is a terrible junk hand in Omaha. I don't know where Andathar gets the idea this is an average hand. I definately wouldn't call.

If you think SB might fold to a reraise, you might reraise pot. AK87 isn't terrible against a random hand allin preflop. You could win with ace high, or a pair or aces or kings.

However, even if this guy seems like maniac, he might not raise every hand in this situation. Even maniacs get hands. I fold.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:02 AM

I don't think he'll fold to a re-raise preflop. He has the chips to call me and he likes to gamble. (which he did over and over again during the tournament and eventually lost his big stack and busted out first in the final table)

The only way I can win this hand is in a showdown, but he was a true maniac (or simply a bored holdem player enjoying the 4 cards) and he would have raised ANY hand in that position.

I think I should have folded preflop, but I'm pretty sure i'm result-oriented at this point.

(for the record, I pushed on the flop, he called with a wrap (2, 4, 6 or an Ace for a straight) and hit on the turn)

Even though I had a better hand preflop, I think I should have folded and picked a better spot to try and double up. Thanks for the replys, anyhow.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even though I had a better hand preflop, I think I should have folded and picked a better spot to try and double up.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hand did he have preflop? I can't believe AK87 one suit was the best hand. Also, if I knew what he had, I could figure out if you had the best hand on the flop.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:58 AM

he had 9642, can't remember the suits, but it wasn't ds.

I was 55-45 preflop, he was 55-45 postflop.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was 55-45 preflop, he was 55-45 postflop.
AK87 one suit plays OK heads up allin preflop against a random hand, but it is an awful hand to see a flop with. 9642 single suited has a lot more straight possibilities, but it is a junk hand too.

AK87 one suit is two good holdem hands, but one bad Omaha hand. It is hard to make any big hands with this hand. About the best you can hope for is aces up or kings up. It isn't terrible heads up against a maniac in teh lbinds with fairly shallow money, but I think you could pick a better spot to gamble.