Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Re: How many dollars we cost ourselves by reading 2+2 while playing?

That really depends on your habits, I assume its different for every player. 2+2 used to reduce my ROI by ~20-25%, its now 5% im guessing.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:37 AM

Definite issue for me.
I will often 4 table, read internet, while listening to tunes and watching tv.
I can’t put a price on it, but there’s a price.
Got to get smarter here.
Good New Year’s resolution brewing
Old 11-22-2005, 09:10 AM

I dont know how you guys can pull off multi tabling. I have tried it and I always seem to lose everything. I do watch TV sometimes while playing and 2+2 as well. Sundays are the worst during football season, Go Steelers! Used to be alot worse but when I got down to my last $50 I figured out what I was doing wrong. I have built back up to 1k in about 2 weeks, yea me. One table at a time.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i can't tell if you're kidding about the opportunity cost thing, but even if you were, i'm going to pretend you werent. people use opportunity cost only in terms of money. (this isn't directed at you, i'm just tired and felt like typing about this). For example, i think it was the psychology forum some guuy asked why he should bother returning rented movies anymore because it takes him 30 minutes to do, and it only costs him lets say $20 if he never returns it, so if he's earning $40 an hour or more why should he bother to ever return any videos? ok, i starrted talking about this and now i dont feel like finishing. But i thought that was a really freaking ridiculous example (oh the guy also claimed he shouuld never cook dinner because it takes him time and he can just order delivery). and he's not the only one i've seen use opportunity cost like a jackass.

Again, not that you did, it just reminded me.

<pointless response/bump>
You're wrong on this. That's exactly what opportunity costs are.
</pointless response/bumn>
</pointless rant>

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-23-2005, 04:22 AM

nh, sir. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

that is all.

RB
Old 11-23-2005, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

opportunity cost takes more into account than the actual money, you're 'costing' yourself other things, like, hapiness, time, damn i'll trty and find the post, there was a smartter guy explaining the point i'm making badly. basically, theres more than $ to be taken into account. i'll try and find that now, so i dont look like an idiot.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

opportunity cost takes more into account than the actual money, you're 'costing' yourself other things, like, hapiness, time, damn i'll trty and find the post, there was a smartter guy explaining the point i'm making badly. basically, theres more than $ to be taken into account. i'll try and find that now, so i dont look like an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that opportunity costs involve more than just money. I think that both examples that you disagreed with were great examples, though.

Some version of the movie thing is basically how it's always introduced in intro econ classes.

While CSC didn't talk about this, I think it's pretty safe to assume that he wouldn't pay however much $/hour he earns playing poker=to read 2+2 instead, so the concept applies.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:36 AM

Here

Is the thread i was talking about. the examples might be good, ,i dunno, i'm wierd and can't express some of the stuff i my head. i just don't like it, something is wrong with the idea. theres more to be considered than just the two $ values.

anyways, i'm glad i made the incoherent+incorrect remarks about it, cause it made me find that thread, and i like it.