Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Dealing with luck in tournaments.

I want to share the last entry on my blog with the forum

"Another dissapointing big tournament. I busted out from the WPT tournament in Foxwoods, yesterday about 1/2 hour before the day finished; played about 12 hours. As usual I was very depressed; and of course it didn't help to be in the same room with JohnnyBax, Sheets and ImsoLucky0; they all made it into day 2.
As usual I was mad and ranting about how I hate poker, how a f* bad luck I have in these big tournaments, I have always thought of myself about being in the left far side of the poker standard deviation luck, even with my recent nice internet streak.
Bad luck has many different ways to show up in poker, this time was in the form of an endless streak of garbage cards.
Bad luck was in the form of a pretty tough table, with Greg Raymer, Amir Vahedi and Billy Gazes.
Also bad luck was in the form of sickness, between the 4th and the 9th hour of the tournament, I was feeling real sick, so it was kind of hard to concentrate in the tournament.

But despite all the ranting the important point is, you can not control the cards you're dealt, you can't control the cards your opponents are dealt, you can't control the flop cards, the turn card, the river card. You can't control who your opponents will be at your table, and who will have position on you.
But you can control the decisions you make with the cards you're dealt. You can control how you react to your opponents actions. You control your decisions preflop, in the flop, turn, river. You control the size of your bets, raises.

So, it just does not make any sense to be mad about things you have absolutely no control of. You were dealt 72 off like 90 times in a row, so what, don't beat yourself up with these kind of things, it's worthless to spend any time and energy on this. Just worry about the decisions you made. That is the only important thing to do, just worry about the decisions you have some control of.

So, I'm posting all the mistakes I think I made, despite my "bad luck" I think I should have done better if I would not made some mistakes."
Old 11-20-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Dealing with luck in tournaments.

nice spreadsheet [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2005, 06:18 PM

It would take way too long for me to translate this and there would be too many holes, but I still found this pretty funny, so for the spanish speakers here, another excerpt from Sirio's blog:

[ QUOTE ]
Ja, estos dias 2+2 se ha convertido en una especie de Oprah, unos dramas dignos de Sofocles. la verdad yo me divierto mucho siguiendo todos esos telenovelescos threads. Para los que no conocen 2+2, es simplemente el mejor forum de poker que hay en internet y les recomiendo ampliamente que lo lean si no lo han hecho. Ultimamente ha crecido mucho, debido a la explosion en el poker, pero aun asi sigue siendo simplemente el mejor forum para leer poker y ultimamente incluso para seguir los dramas de algunas figuras del poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-20-2005, 07:56 PM

Worthy indeed of a Sophoclean drama.

Debe encargarse del papel de Moderator y limpia 2+2 de corrupcion!

Bored..just wanted to see if I remember my high school spanish.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:07 PM

Nice hand sir
Old 11-20-2005, 08:45 PM

Nice difference between eloquence(?sp) and idiocy [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2005, 08:52 PM

Well said but pretty obvious stuff.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, I'm posting all the mistakes I think I made, despite my "bad luck" I think I should have done better if I would not made some mistakes."

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for taking the time to share all of this information, David! I keep a spreadsheet log similar to yours. Like another poster, I also like your Spanish blogs, so I can see how little or much I can remember and interpret.

Although you may have a had a tough time at Foxwoods and seem a little frustrated, it looks like you had a heck of a nice September and October run. Just sounds like luck evening out over time. Hope you have better fortune in your next big tournament.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:01 AM

Wow. Maybe you should link your site to irs.gov