Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 01:35 PM

Default AK in supersatellite

12 players left for 3 seats. 5800 average stack. I didn't want a major confrontation, but I think I had to play it this way.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero (t7408)
MP (t8031)
CO (t6755)
Button (t4935)
SB (t2625)
BB (t8881)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t900</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls t750, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t2400</font>, SB folds, BB calls t5008.

Flop: (t9208) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t9208) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t9208) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t9208

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ac Kh (one pair, jacks).
BB has Ts Td (two pair, jacks and tens).
Outcome: BB wins t9208. </font>
Old 11-19-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: AK in supersatellite

What do you think of villain's play? I don't care for it in a satellite. I think it was overly aggressive. What did he think I was raising with UTG with a decent stack in a satellite?

I hoped he had something like TT or AQ and would fold to the push. I really didn't think he had KK or AA.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:02 PM

There is a problem with the HH, but I'm guessing you're pushing after BB's re-raise.

BB is obviously going for a confrontation. After committing 40% of his stack of course he must call your push.

I guess it all comes down to your table image at this point. Have you given him any reason to believe either that his re-raise holds FE, or that he might be facing a range including a lower pair?

Alternatively, he might be in a rush for reasons we don't know about. This happens online all the time.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 11-19-2005, 02:24 PM

Since it was a satellite, I could have folded AK to the reraise but I thought that was too weak, particularly since it was a squeeze play from the BB. I thought there was some chance villain was making a play and would fold to a push from the UTG raiser, particularly since survival is important in a satellite.

I had been playing solidly with the tournament lead in a satellite. I had been somewhat aggressive with small stacks.

I had lost a a fairly big pot to villain which left me with just an average plus stack. Villain came in as the 2nd limper on the button with Q9o, I completed with KQo, and the flop came Q9x.