Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Re: What is a manly drink to order at a bar?

How about a nice warm Dickens Cider!!!
Old 11-19-2005, 08:51 PM

Pina colada and a punch in the face.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would consider the martini a gender-neutral drink that manages to put on airs somehow, but I come from a heavily chicken-fried segment of American society. Gin is TASTY as [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Gin and tonic is also gender neutral but it is one hell of a good drink. And good gin is often said to be one of the least hangover producing drinks.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Re: whiskey sour

[ QUOTE ]
My friend and I agree, if a man gets a whiskey sour without a cherry, he's okay. One of our machismo friends orders these all the time. He's a playa.

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

Whiskey sours taste great, but the high sugar content sometimes gets a little tough to take after a few.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think margaritas on the rocks are fine for a guy, but frozen margaritas are for chicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here in L.A., everyone drinks frozen margaritas and nobody thinks anything of it. Probably the largely hispanic culture.

But because of that, I never even considered any kind of margaritas a chick drink. Dudes have them all the time here, and whole parties and evenings are built around people drinking nothing but margaritas, sometimes changing flavors or whatever.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:56 PM

After consulting with my bartender friend, we came up with these observations.

The most manly drink you could order is straight whiskey / bourbon / scotch. That's about as John Wayne as you can get.

Martinis...just to clarify. With gin martinis, never shake them because it destroys the flavor. Vodka martinis by default are shaken very hard to get ice crystals on top.

Pina Coladas...not a guy's drink. Unless you're in the Bahamas on the beach, but on the rocks only. Then, when in Rome...but not as bad as ordering a Daiquiri.

Red Bull...neutral by itself, but what you mix with it makes the difference. Vodka and Red Bull may be acceptable if you're tired and need some pep. But mixed with just about anything else, it becomes feminine. Red-headed sluts (jager and cranberry) are usually feminine drinks, but guys can drink them with girls who are having one.

As far as Jack & Coke is concerned...when's the last time you saw a girl order this? This is my drink of choice. Always a guy drink, with any whiskey (like Crown and Coke.) Rum & Coke is more neutral.

Mojitos...a Cuban / machismo drink. If Ernest Hemingway can drink one, don't you think any other guy can drink one? But some girls may like this as well.

Just since so many people asked, whiskey sours are okay for guys (no cherry).

Margaritas, on the rocks for the guys. No frozen drinks for guys.

Of course, if you're going for the "may be gay" angle with the girls, order anything you please.

ScottieK
Old 11-19-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Stirred, not shaken.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Despite James Bond always ordering a martini shaken, not stirred, almost all martinis are stirred unless otherwise specified.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence him saying shaken, not stirred.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he meant to say:

Despite James Bond always ordering a martini shaken, not stirred, almost all martinis are served shaken unless otherwise specified.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, many bartenders shake martinis and ruin them.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- Classic martini
Drinks that straight guys shouldn't order
- Martini wannabe's - appletini, chocolatini, Cosmopolitans
ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides Classic martinis, Dirty Martinis are also acceptable.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:15 PM

In general, I do not think mixed drinks are manly, because they mask the taste of a spirit. This suggests that one can't stomach the taste of liquor, which is a sentiment common to women and children, and not to men. There are a few classic cocktails that are designed to complement the taste of spirits, though, which I think of as being manly. Namely:

Martini
Tom Collins
Whiskey Sour
Old Fashioned
Bloody Mary

The first of these drinks, the martini, is glamorous but not well-understood by a lot of bartenders. The reigning mistake is to mix it with vodka rather than gin, and very little vermouth, sometimes with only a sprinkling of a few droplets. Personally, I prefer a mixture of about three parts gin to one part vermouth. Another irritating tendency of many bars is to name all variety of girly things "martinis," such that anything served in a martini glass - e.g. the nonsense "chocolate martini" - appropriates the name.

I also think simple combinations are manly, on the order of whiskey (or rum) and coke, scotch and water (or soda water), and gin (or vodka) and tonic. The better the booze the less I would be tempted to put anything in it, though. I do not think tequila is manly, because I think its cultural imagery evokes ruffianism.

I also do not think it is manly to be drunk in public.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Order whatever you want to drink. Who cares what's "manly" and what's not? I've been going thru a prolonged Ketel and tonic phase.

[/ QUOTE ]
I personally love Bombay Saphire Gin and Tonic. Makes me feel like an old man. But an man nonetheless.