Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 04:00 PM

Default Reds Sign Eric Milton

Should I get excited or will they disappoint me again?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1953888

CINCINNATI -- Free agent Eric Milton and Cincinnati agreed to a three-year deal Monday as the Reds kept revamping their pitching staff.

Eric Milton
Starting Pitcher
Philadelphia Phillies

2004 SEASON STATISTICS
GM W L Sv K ERA
34 14 6 0 161 4.75

Milton, 29, led Philadelphia in wins, starts and strikeouts last season, going 14-6 with a 4.75 ERA in 34 starts. He struck out 171.

The signing gives the Reds a proven left-hander in a rotation that desperately needed one.

Milton went 71-57 with a 4.76 ERA in 200 appearances with Minnesota and Philadelphia. He made the AL All-Star team in 2001, and went 1-0 with a 1.65 ERA with the Twins in the 2002 and 2003 playoffs.

Milton also pitched the fifth no-hitter in Twins' history on Sept. 11, 1999, striking out a career-high 13 Angels.

The Reds have spent the offseason overhauling their bullpen and rotation on a limited budget. They kept Paul Wilson, their top starter last season, by giving him a two-year deal, and acquired right-hander Ramon Ortiz from Anaheim.

Cincinnati has added David Weathers, Ben Weber and Kent Mercker to the bullpen.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Reds Sign Eric Milton

<yawn> how much are they paying him?
Old 12-27-2004, 04:12 PM

three-year, $25.5 million deal

They just updated the article with the deal included this time. Yeah I know this isn't a big deal for most teams, but for the Reds this is huge lol. At least to me anyway [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Oh yeah it matches Matt Clements deal with the Red Sox almost exactly they say.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:19 PM

Jesus that's it??? Argh...I hate my god damn Phillies so much, sometimes I wish I hadn't ripped the season ticket renewal form into so many pieces so I could rip it up again each time they fail to spend a little cash to keep a decent pitcher. Milton is a quality starter in the NL, you'll enjoy having him on your team (while we suffer with your former Cory Lidle as our #3 or 4, hooray)
Old 12-27-2004, 04:33 PM

wow, mid level players certainly are getting over paid this year [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img], oh well. Seems like a good signing; most teams can use an effective lefty.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, mid level players certainly are getting over paid this year [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img], oh well. Seems like a good signing; most teams can use an effective lefty.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Milton gave up a lot of homers last year...what'll he do in Coors East?!?!??!?
Old 12-27-2004, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So Milton gave up a lot of homers last year...what'll he do in Coors East?!?!??!?

[/ QUOTE ]prolly give up more, thats my guess at least.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:04 PM

Don't get too excited. Milton is another example of baseball's "market correction" of the last two seasons being "corrected" in a negative sense. A guy like Milton, who had a pretty decent season in '04, is just not worth that kind of money. Beyond eating innings, his peripheral numbers (K:BB, BB/9, etc.) are not that good, and he gave up an eye-popping 43 homers. Milton is a classic signing by a team like the Reds: he'll suck, they'll suck, and they'll be trying to unload that contract by the summer of '06.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:12 PM

I don't get it. What makes people think this guy is any good at all besides the fact he is lefty? What makes people think he did good/ok last year? Just look at his numbers! They're bad. And if i remember correctly, hes never had a season with an era under 4.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it. What makes people think this guy is any good at all besides the fact he is lefty? What makes people think he did good/ok last year? Just look at his numbers! They're bad. And if i remember correctly, hes never had a season with an era under 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has a sub-1.2 whip and only 30 walks in 170 innings in 2002, before his injury. Those are some pretty good numbers, his ERA was a little inflated that year. Then last year, wuth his gopher tendencies and a 1.35 WHIP means he's worth 8.5 million a year?

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

So he's worth more than Nomar?