Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do viewers still need to be educated?
No--viewers are already informed 63 80.77%
Yes--Show us hand ranks and explain how the game is played. 15 19.23%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Best 3-Man Band Ever

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You Hendrix fans should enjoy this story. back when Jimi was an up-in-comer he played a gig in a bar in Tampa. Don't know how many people were actually there but, at best, it was in the hundreds. After the first song or two someone started heckling Jimi. Jimi responded by playing the reminder of the set with his back to the audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

For pure hilarity, how about the fact that Hendrix opened for the Monkees on tour. What a trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw an interview with Mickey Dolenz where he talked about that tour, and how bad he felt for Hendrix. He said Jimi gave the teenybopper fans the one-finger salute more than once. "We want the Monkees! Weeeee want the Monkeeeeeeees!"

"[censored] yoooooooou!"
Old 11-21-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You Hendrix fans should enjoy this story. back when Jimi was an up-in-comer he played a gig in a bar in Tampa. Don't know how many people were actually there but, at best, it was in the hundreds. After the first song or two someone started heckling Jimi. Jimi responded by playing the reminder of the set with his back to the audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

For pure hilarity, how about the fact that Hendrix opened for the Monkees on tour. What a trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, the Monkees would be at the top of this list if they were a 3-man band.

[/ QUOTE ]
Close, but the correct answer would be "Neil Diamond and any two guys off the street".
Old 11-21-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So? Sting thought so much of his bandmates in The Police that he hasn't played with them in over a decade. This doesn't prove a thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't compare one musican re-doing another musician's parts on an album and a band breaking up. Bands break up for lots of reasons. But there are very few reasons why one guy would play another's instrument.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So? Sting thought so much of his bandmates in The Police that he hasn't played with them in over a decade. This doesn't prove a thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't compare one musican re-doing another musician's parts on an album and a band breaking up. Bands break up for lots of reasons. But there are very few reasons why one guy would play another's instrument.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enlighten me, because I don't know:

How many bass parts does Hendrix play on the Experience's recordings? Out of how many total?

You say "re-doing." Was there a time that Redding cut a part, and Hendrix re-cut it because it wasn't good enough?

How many of these parts are because Hendrix thought he could play them better than Redding and not other reasons?

Is it possible that Hendrix knew what he wanted immediately and did not want to take the time to show Redding what he wanted, or Hendrix had written a specific part the night before and wanted to cut it that day, or Redding was away from the studio for some reason?

Stevie Ray Vaughan plays drums on the recorded version of Empty Arms on Soul To Soul. Stevie didn't think Chris Layton was a bad drummer. He just wanted to get the tune done and Chris wasn't there.

Bruce Springsteen plays bass (and piano) on Blinded By The Light, from Greetings From Asbury Park. He knew what he wanted, so he just played it. He doesn't think less of Garry Tallent.

Studio time costs a lot of money, and in the studio you'll do whatever goes fastest, if it works.

I don't know enough about the Experience sessions to speak definitively about why Hendrix might have played some of Redding's parts. All I can find in quick internet research is that Hendrix played OCCASIONAL bass.

I think if this is your only reason for denying that Redding is one of the best bass rock and roll bass players ever, that it's pretty weak.

Maybe Hendrix really didn't think much of Redding, but it's going to take more proof than "he recorded some of his parts."

Dave Mason plays acoustic guitar on "All Along The Watchtower," is that because Hendrix didn't think he could handle it himself?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe Hendrix really didn't think much of Redding, but it's going to take more proof than "he recorded some of his parts."

[/ QUOTE ]

How about how he use to introduce him as "Bob Dillon's grandmother"?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:50 PM

1. Minutemen
2. Nirvana
3. Hendrix
Old 11-21-2005, 06:08 PM

I read it in a book. He did most if not all of his bass parts on Axis, IIRC. I think this was the book, but I don't own it anymore. Read it for yourself if you want.

oh, and this

[ QUOTE ]
You say "re-doing." Was there a time that Redding cut a part, and Hendrix re-cut it because it wasn't good enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

is why Jimi redid it. I'm sure he thought he was better than Redding. He probably thought (correctly) that he was better than everyone. But it is significant that he only did his parts on one album, IMO.

Citing one song from SRV and one from the Boss is not the same as Jimi laying down 10-12 tracks of stuff Redding should have been doing. This harkens back to you citing the Police's breakup as Sting implicitly saying he didn't think Summers or Copeland were good, which is retarded. I forgive you this time, b/c you haven't read the book and don't know all the facts and I don't remember it well enough to tell you. I would just like to point out, constuctively, that you have a bad habit reflex of inventing really bad analogies.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Holy Crap.....What about The Police?

[ QUOTE ]
You have committed a grevious and cardinal error in your poll. You left off "Hanson"

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-21-2005, 06:46 PM

Primus. First band that came to mind, even before I knew it was a poll.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:55 PM

I don't think Green Day should be on a poll titled "best 3-man band with lead singers named Billie Joe," much less the one you've listed.