Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 03:47 AM

Default Re: A new site is coming out that is 30 cents max rake - for real money

Although I would love to see a no-rake or low-rake site as much of the rest of you, this has been discussed many times before, and it simply won't work, atleast not anytime in the forseeable future.

The reason is because the masses either don't know, or don't care about rake. They don't see how it adds up, and they don't think it impacts their bottom line.

However, what will work, is a site that charges normal rake, but returns almost all of it in great promotions and/or incentives. This way, we would still be paying the same rake, but instead of getting nothing back, we would either be getting the equivilant of a high rakeback percentage through bonuses (and casual players love bonuses), or through all expense paid entries into WSOP/WPT tournaments if you play enough hands, or other exciting prizes.

A few sites have tried stuff like this, but we are still waiting for that startup (or existing site) to put that mysterious puzzle of software, marketing, support, promotions, and soft games together correctly.

Here's for hoping sooner rather than later.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:18 AM

Default Re: A new site is coming out that is 30 cents max rake - for real mone

[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of getting banned

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, who ever would want to see our very own five-star, one-asterisk, Zoo poster Synergistic Explosions banned?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i think the newer mods don't have the power to just ban the poster. but they can change all sorts of stuff on their profile and in their title (such as where jurollo adjusted my 'title' to say 'johnny chan spotter') so whenever a spammer or 'online-is-rigged' or 'i don't understand variance but i think i'm gods-gift of poker' type guy arrives they can expect a 'scarlet letter' or two courtesy of the mods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Figured I'd clear this up: we can still ban anybody, but what we can't do now is delete/lock threads except in our home forums. So sometimes spam threads get left around even after the poster was banned, especially if they posted it in multiple forums.

There's no difference between the powers of older mods and newer ones, as far as I know (except of course Mat).
Old 11-20-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Re: A new site is coming out that is 30 cents max rake - for real money

I'm an optimist by nature so I really hope that one of these new lower rake sites can make a go of it. Everyone knows that the only thing that Party has going for it is the number of players they have, everything else about Party sucks big time. I really hope that a site like cardcrusade or pokerchamps or something along those lines can get some momentum and make a go of it. I wish them all the best.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't this kill bonuses? I guess at higher levels that's a small price to pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I fear rakefree sites are doomed to fail. The fish completely dont understand how rake works (see above)
Old 11-20-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the newer mods don't have the power to just ban the poster.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just fyi (for everyone -- since I think these kinds of things should be common knowledge to the 2p2 posting public), everybody in green can ban anyone not in green or red at any time, based on our own judgement. I rarely ban people, especially outside my own forum (I adhere to the long rope philosophy of modding). The exception is spammers -- we have orders to nuke them all on site regardless of the forum.

FWIW I didn't get this one.