Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2005, 01:13 AM

Default quick one

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls.

River: (9 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Old 03-20-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Re: quick one

I think this is a good spot to check and induce a bluff from the missed spade draw. By checking you might even get a better T to check behind, saving you a bit of money (though thats doubtful). It just looks to me like his flop bet was a flush draw or better T, since he didn't raise the J on the turn.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:47 AM

I wouldn't c/r the river. Check it, and call a bet. I only see a higher ten betting you here, or a missed stright/flush draw.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:29 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i would fold this one preflop, but if i were handed my cards back i'd bet the flop
Old 03-20-2005, 03:32 AM

check and hope he checks a better ten behind on the river of bluffs or value bets something worse. basically youre toast most of the time here. the guy has a J and was being cute or timid or both on the turn. or he has a flush draw and he wont call. check that river, main reason being he might naively check behind with a better ten (which he will call with 100% of the time).
Old 03-20-2005, 04:21 PM

He is on 33-99 a T (could be stronger or weaker) or some missed draw.
Value betting gets paid off by a weaker T or A pocket pair. chekcing may induce a bluff from a missed draw. I also think any T will bet and 99 or 88 might also.

all of these things lead me to think that check calling is best.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check and hope he checks a better ten behind on the river of bluffs or value bets something worse. basically youre toast most of the time here. the guy has a J and was being cute or timid or both on the turn. or he has a flush draw and he wont call. check that river, main reason being he might naively check behind with a better ten (which he will call with 100% of the time).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-20-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would fold this one preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I'd play it in BB, but it just seems a tad loose from SB, even with the structure.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:56 PM

I will go against the grain and say bet here. A lot of party players will play medium to low pairs like this, wishfully putting you on the draw, and they are definitely calling but not betting. And I think people overestimate the frequency with which unknowns will both bluff a busted draw and check behind with something like AT here.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:15 PM

I'd probably check and call. But if this guy will call down with any pocket pair then I bet. I fold this pre-flop. If there had been more cold callers then the call would be ok.