Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Matt Matros article from Card Player: AK and Fold Equity

You're not expecting a fold immediately, you're either 1) getting money in against a hand that you dominate or 2) building fold equity against a pocket pair hand by representing a higher pair.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:10 PM

OK, what flops and betting action do you love/hate after your 12BB reraise gets called?

M
Old 12-19-2005, 01:18 PM

Obviously any A/K flop helps. Flops like Qxx or Jxx are good. What you DONT want to see is a flop like 7 2 3, where a small pocket pair will likely play back at you.

As far as action goes -- I'm usually shutting down if any bet gets called.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:36 PM

OK, so flop is Kxx. Pot is ~$24. He checks, you bet $18 (2/3 pot) and get called. Pot is now $60 and you both have $70 left in front of you. Turn blanks, he checks. What do you do? Do you check behind, guaranteeing a river bet from any two cards? Do you make even a half pot bet on the turn where if you get called, you're facing the river with a $120 pot and $40 in front of you.

I guess I just don't see where the 12BB reraise makes your later decisions any easier, but rather sets you up for some nasty decisions on later streets in big pots with TPTK.

I do appreciate your willingness to discuss this with me. I have a good bit of trouble with this scenario, especially when I'm not playing at 100% of my 'A game'.

M
Old 12-19-2005, 09:53 PM

Check turn for pot control reasons, call reasonable river bet if lead into, value bet if checked to.

If you run into an opponent who fires every time you check the turn, then you should be able to exploit that tendency by checking the turn with your stronger holdings.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously any A/K flop helps. Flops like Qxx or Jxx are good. What you DONT want to see is a flop like 7 2 3, where a small pocket pair will likely play back at you.

As far as action goes -- I'm usually shutting down if any bet gets called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think one of my biggest leaks is not laying these hands down when they aren't improved on the flop. I'll CB and then I'll get called; the turn is no help. Usual advice is to shut down and give it up, but I feel like so many pots are stolen. On the other hand, I think I'm wasting a lot of money by continually firing again on the turn.

For those who use a HUD with PT stats, do you find that these stats make a difference in your decision and that you don't find yourself wondering what to do?