Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: How to play 88?

[ QUOTE ]
Interpreting his raise is what I find to be the most interesting part of this hand. If I am ahead on the turn, then I am still ahead on the river, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Barring something like A4s for villain, this is true. I am hard pressed to come up with something that takes his line that you are beating on the end. 77 is the only one that comes to mind..... on the other hand, scads of better hands could play this way (better pocket pair, flopped set, even a frustrated flopped straight that is tilt-bluffing with the best hand).
Old 11-09-2005, 01:11 PM

42/12 are very bad stats IMO for 6 max, no matter what cards you're getting, unless the table is ridiculously loose and passive preflop. I don't mind the flop check that much, because I think it's possible he's getting tricky with a bigger pair, and if he does have missed overcards he's drawing to 6 outs, you have 6 outs if behind, so unless you are winning here very often, I think a check is fine.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Interpreting his raise is what I find to be the most interesting part of this hand. If I am ahead on the turn, then I am still ahead on the river, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Barring something like A4s for villain, this is true. I am hard pressed to come up with something that takes his line that you are beating on the end. 77 is the only one that comes to mind..... on the other hand, scads of better hands could play this way (better pocket pair, flopped set, even a frustrated flopped straight that is tilt-bluffing with the best hand).

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see a flopped straight or a higher pocket taking his line. He raised from the sb and did not bet the flop and made a weak turn bet. What kind of semi-tight to tight player does that with a straight or TT or better? AK-AJ, 77 or 88 are his likely holdings here IMO.

In a situation like this I don't see how I am behind more than half the time.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My table image was actually a LAG, I was catching good starting hands, but getting no flop improvement. My stats after 40 hands are 42/12/3. No reads on villain, but he has done noting out of line.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Hero ($228.25)
MP ($94.95)
Button ($312.70)
SB (villain)/ ($78.25)
BB ($248.25)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (villain)/ raises to $10</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $8.

Flop: ($22) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
villain checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($22) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">villain bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, villain calls $8.

River: ($46) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">villain bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">villain raises to $56.25</font>, Hero ????

Am I good here? What do you make of the donk bet followed by the reraise? Critique on all streets encouraged.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if my remarks are stupid and obvious to everyone here but I am trying to learn to play short handed and it's a mystery to me.

Why don't you raise UTG with 88? Why do you call?

Why don't you put in at least a half pot sized bet on the flop? What's the point of checking?

Why do you raise only $12 into a $26 pot? Why not bet more? Say about $30? Do you put the villan on a straight draw?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry if my remarks are stupid and obvious to everyone here but I am trying to learn to play short handed and it's a mystery to me.

Why don't you raise UTG with 88? Why do you call?

Why don't you put in at least a half pot sized bet on the flop? What's the point of checking?

Why do you raise only $12 into a $26 pot? Why not bet more? Say about $30? Do you put the villan on a straight draw?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Your remarks are far from stupid. Raising 88 is a matter of personal preference. You will be OOP and overcards will hit on something like 75% of all flops.

The SB fired out a 5x BB raise. Typical raises are 3-4x, so I was really playing for set value. I was concerned about a check raise. Remember, my PT table image here is one a LAG. I was cognizant of it and I thought there was a chance villain was laying a trap.

I agree that my turn bet should have been higher. I was certain villain did not have a straight, a 6 or a 4. My thought process was concerned that he badly misplayed AA-JJ.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise preflop, bet the flop, and just call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

my line exactly.