Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 09:29 AM

Default PLO 100 - Help! I think I have a extremely big leak here.. (flop play)

Omaha Pot Limit ($0.50/$1.00)

Seat 1: SB ($87.95)
Seat 2: BB ($96.50)
Seat 5: UTG ($145.95)
Seat 6: MP ($28.60)
Seat 7: Hero ($95.50)
Seat 9: Button ($76.25)
SB: posts small blind $0.50
BB: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
UTG: folds
MP: calls $1
Hero: raises $3.50 to $4.50
Button: calls $4.50
SB: calls $4
BB: folds
MP: folds
*** FLOP *** [7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
SB: checks
Hero: bets $14.75
Button: raises $44.25 to $59
SB: folds
SB is sitting out
Hero: calls $44.25???

Button is tight, no other reads. Am I making a serious leak by calling here despite my 12-card wrap draw? My default play is always call as the chance that I will fill my straight is 1.22 to 1 and the pot is giving 2 to 1 (therefore, in my head, I am getting good odds). But then I suddenly realised, due to the stack sizes, a flop call pretty much commits me to call a turn bet if the board is unpaired. That means if I call all the way to the river, the pot is giving me an effective pot odds of approximately 1 to 1!! (which would make the original flop call wrong!)

If I'm wrong with the play of this hand and this call, that means I must have leaked lots of money in the past and I should seriously consider giving this game up. I suspect that I have misunderstood a fundamental concept of the game.

The question is, is the flop call wrong?
Old 12-06-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: PLO 100 - Help! I think I have a extremely big leak here.. (flop play)

Against a set you have 36% equity. Against two pair its more like 43%. But some of your outs are probably shared, giving you much less equity on average. So it should be an easy fold unless your opponent is a maniac who will do this with a much wider range of hands.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: PLO 100 - Help! I think I have a extremely big leak here.. (flop play)

You need flush outs as well to play this, upon which you raise
Old 12-06-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need flush outs as well to play this, upon which you raise

[/ QUOTE ]
If the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] was teh A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] then hero would have two backdoor flush draws for a total of about 3 outs. Would this be enough to continue?

Hero does have one backdoor flush draw right now.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:08 PM

This is why position is PARAMOUNT in PLO.

I would probably try to check the flop and hope for a free card on the turn, and call a pot sized bet if not. UI on the turn I muck unless I pickup a flush draw.

Once you take the lead in this hand, you need to call the remainder with two to come.

Remember position when betting semi-strong draws. If this flop came with a flush draw for you then I reccomend firing away and trying to get it all in on the flop.

Tex
Old 12-06-2005, 05:15 PM

Would check calling be too weak on the flop? what is the advantage of check raising this tight player? if you do over half your stack is now in the pot.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: PLO 100 - Help! I think I have a extremely big leak here.. (flop p

[ QUOTE ]
Would check calling be too weak on the flop? what is the advantage of check raising this tight player? if you do over half your stack is now in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think check calling is the best, the hand might stay 3way when button bets

i think this is one of those situations, like with top set on a straight board, where you don't want to bet yourself out of a nice draw
Old 12-06-2005, 06:16 PM

I never advocated check raising in this spot. If you had the nut flush draw with the wrap, then a check-raise would be a good play IMO. As is, I dont reccomend a check raise.

There's nothing wrong with a check call on this flop OOP against a tight player. He'd be more than obliged to play all-in with you if he does have QQQ or even 10-10-10, and his bet on the flop signifies that type of a hand. Of course this is all in hindsight, and many players will play this hand just as the OP did, but IMO check calling and peeling one off here cheap with a semi-strong draw is the correct play, and missing the turn then becomes an easy fold. I dont like check calling very often in Hold'em, because in the long term it is not a profitable practice, however, given the complexity of PLO, it is a more profitable strategy when employed in spots like this.

Tex
Old 12-06-2005, 06:23 PM

You'd be in a better spot if you had AKKJ or AAKJ, obviously. If the button is truly tight, the worst hand he'd raise you with here would be top two with some straight outs or blockers, which you are in bad shape against. I think it's a fold on the flop with 100BB stacks.

If I raise this type of hand pre and flop this way, I try to mix up my flop bets. You'll probably get more money out of an offensive check here if you make your hand than you will if you pot and hit the turn.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:25 PM

I agree with the others that check-calling here is probably a better play. Hero's draw is decent, but certainly behind most made hands at this point. Check-calling gives the Hero the option of folding to a paired turn and the potential to pick up additional outs even if he misses.

If I'm on the button and it has been checked to me, I am certainly going to lead with this hand.