Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Difficult flop play with top pair

[ QUOTE ]
err, yves I think u need to check your sarcasm meter.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sarcasm:

Old 09-26-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For example, what if he has one of the straight flush cards? How can I represent the straight flush?!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not as big a problem as you would think. Just represent the two straight flush cards he doesn't have.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:46 PM

Why you didn't open-push preflop is beyond me. Terrible. You deserve whatever you get after missing that layup.

Set sail,
tapir
Old 09-26-2005, 08:51 PM

I really like your line here, raising PF, calling the reraise with a coldcaller behind, and then leading the flop. What here really beats you? Overpair, straight, flush, two pair, and a set. Aside from that your golden, so the plan should be flat call the re-raise on the flop and push any non-spade turn as your opponents are both clearly on draws.

In the unlikely event your behind, just try real hard to fill up on the turn and river to win the pot. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2005, 08:52 PM

You need to begin thinking on the next level.
[image][/image]
Old 09-26-2005, 09:03 PM

In the actual hand, I made it $23.45 to go and SadSack folds. SCR calls.

SCR calls. The turn was 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I thought that this was my mint card. What is my play?
Old 09-26-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I really like your line here, raising PF, calling the reraise with a coldcaller behind, and then leading the flop. What here really beats you? Overpair, straight, flush, two pair, and a set. Aside from that your golden, so the plan should be flat call the re-raise on the flop and push any non-spade turn as your opponents are both clearly on draws.

In the unlikely event your behind, just try real hard to fill up on the turn and river to win the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
This one cracked me up, I have to admit. Ni han [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Fold this [censored] preflop. At 25$ NL, only thing I'm raising UTG is AK/QQ+.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

In the unlikely event your behind, just try real hard to fill up on the turn and river to win the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
This one cracked me up, I have to admit. Ni han [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Fold this [censored] preflop. At 25$ NL, only thing I'm raising UTG is AK/QQ+.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pot-committed pre-flop. I have an ace.

-kyo
Old 09-26-2005, 09:47 PM

Just to point out some discrepancies in your post.

[ QUOTE ]
and I call for implied odds

[/ QUOTE ] First off...A9o isn't exactly an implied odds hand. It can't make a two card straight or make a flush very easily. If you flop an ace or two aces, you could be in kicker trouble and if you flop a 9, you could be up against a high pair. The only flop you're really thrilled with is something like 99x. I would just throw it away after the re-raise...you are dominated by a tight player 90% of the time. You can't justify making bad calls just by saying you have implied odds.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop (~$6.20): 7 8 9

I'm pretty happy, as I've flopped top pair top kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have now from the realm of implied odds to the realm of reversed implied odds, meaning that you hand has only a very slight possibility of being best right now, but has almost 0 chance for improvement and almost every card in the deck makes it a loser on the next card off it is best. You should not be happy with this flop after calling a re-raise PF with A9o without the Ace of spades.

[ QUOTE ]
we'll call him Spirit Crack Rock or SCR, hasn't shown down anything except a flopped set/turned boat against one of the weaker players

[/ QUOTE ]

A really tight player has raised you after re-raising preflop and you hold just a pair of nines on a 3 straight, 3 flush board and no draw? Of course you fold.

EDIT: Uhh..if this is a joke post, then definetly 3-betting all but $1 of your stack if the correct play..if he calls that raise, he has you beat and you should check-fold the turn.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:26 PM

Reading this thread, and specifically your post, was worse than the time when I found out the wrong way to answer "Are you into watersports?"