Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Playing better players

I work for an online poker site to help start up games and have been working at a specific one for the better of 3 months. I've just gotten to know all the "locals". I've met most of the other players that work for the site and when we're trying to start up a 5/10 game, some players will not play me. They sit in and then sit out when it gets to just us heads up. Most of these players I would say I have an edge over.

I play *anyone* heads up, no matter how bad im running, what kind of day i've had, no matter how good they are(to an extent).

Should I be sitting out against better players like some of the other props or should I play because im getting paid and most likely learning a thing or two.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Playing better players

Any type of shorthanded play especially against good players even if you are one yourself, has a much higher variance which could effectively wipe out the benefits of being a paid prop since you still nonetheless are playing your own money. Against bad players shorthanded play can be very profitable though if you are good at such play, and if they see you sit out against some players but not them they might not want to play you. Overall, it depends on your bankroll and skill level.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:21 AM

Players who need to be macho play heads up with superior opponents. Players who win money (generally) do not.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:53 PM

I never really thought about it. Its not like I can practice very good table selection, you know. I don't plan on pulling a Negreanu at the Wynn.

I guess I *should* be sitting out, though. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:49 PM

I see two ways to look at this.

1) You're playing better players because you want to beat them and will mostly lose.

2) You're playing better players so you can try to learn from them and are paying for the experience and the lessons.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I see two ways to look at this.

1) You're playing better players because you want to beat them and will mostly lose.

2) You're playing better players so you can try to learn from them and are paying for the experience and the lessons.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I want to learn from better headsup players, I watch them play other people.