Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Pet Peeves

[ QUOTE ]
5. The old guard, me included. I think we all tend to develop relationships with guys who were active on the boards around the same time we started to "get it." I know im particularly guilty of it, in that I make sure to get involved in the threads of posters I like, and know fairly well, specifically guys like Soss, Strassa, Che, Woodguy, Bugstud and a handfull of others. To that end I'm guilty of shortchanging some very good players who maybe I don't pay attention to as much as I should, guys who started posting after I'd been here a while. So guys like Ansky, Exitonly, NoahSD, and the others who generally do good work here but don't get as much credit as the guys with longer tenures. I've just called myself out on your behalf.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fall in this habit too, mainly because I only look at threads that are started by posters that I recognize because its hard to wade through the 3495873 official $10 threads that sandwich a quality post.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:13 PM

Yeah pat, i hate how many official threads there are.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:14 PM

i think official threads should have their own forum.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think official threads should have their own forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good idea. Wasn't it a policy at some point that only a mod could start an official thread?
Old 11-01-2005, 09:02 PM

reading Mid/high No Limit has become much more interesting imho.

There are just too many posts to wade through.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
people that post hands, and just the converted hand history, nothing else

[/ QUOTE ]

I like those.

I agree about the titles thing, but sometimes there's little that can be done. Definitely the "Can I fold somewhere?" ones suck, but those are generally new posters who don't realize that posting (or implying) results is counterproductive.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:59 PM

Thats funny, I just got off the phone with Locutus 2 hours ago, talking about similar things.

I will add...

People regard posts like a high school dance. Mike in particulal is cast in the roll of the star QB. People ignore every other post and try to cater their responses to impress him. This is why I am glad we lost the Blue names.

I noticed it in my own posting history. I was particluarly active this summer on the forum. I like to think that the better players respected my analysis (or at least the fact that I did put in work) enough to comment on my hands. At the time, I would post ANYTHING and get 5-10 responses within 10 minutes, mostly with players agreeing with me.

Now, I am less active and have to bump my posts 4 times unless Sossman happens to chime in early.

Two posters who I have learned a great deal from have been CSC and Locutus, and if you search my history you will see extended well thought out debates on my hands. As a matter of fact, I think they have combined called me a donkey 500 times.

Now I was guilty of following the herd a little too much when I started as well, so this isnt an attack on newbies. But things are bad.

We need another hand with the masters to raise my spirit.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mike in particulal is cast in the roll of the star QB

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've met me this is very very funny.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm running bad and cranky, so its bitch at the forum time for me. Time for some pet peeves.

1. Titles from inexperienced posters. I would say that I can tell whether the OP won or lost the hand they are posting about half the time from the title alone. Titles like "how can I get away from this" or "was this a bad push" should never ever ever be used.

2. Titles from experienced posters. A little creativity guys. I know am I PCed with TPTK might describe the hand fair accurately but meh, its just so boring to look down the subject list and always see the same thing. I like catchy titles.

3. I'm guilty of this one too. It bugs the hell out of me when I take the time to do a full analysis (either with math, or a street by street contingency) and then the next guy comes by and says exactly the opposite without even trying to refute the points I made. I like to think I'm not talking to myself.

4. People who just want to be told what to do. I really hate this one. Way way way too many posters on here post hands because they want to be told what the right decision is, not ebcause they want to figure out how to figure the right decision for themselves.

5. The old guard, me included. I think we all tend to develop relationships with guys who were active on the boards around the same time we started to "get it." I know im particularly guilty of it, in that I make sure to get involved in the threads of posters I like, and know fairly well, specifically guys like Soss, Strassa, Che, Woodguy, Bugstud and a handfull of others. To that end I'm guilty of shortchanging some very good players who maybe I don't pay attention to as much as I should, guys who started posting after I'd been here a while. So guys like Ansky, Exitonly, NoahSD, and the others who generally do good work here but don't get as much credit as the guys with longer tenures. I've just called myself out on your behalf.

Man, running bad turns me into one bitchy woman.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I think I'm guilty in most parts (1-4), you guys should feel free to say those things in the threads. Everyone, including me, will learn eventually (cause like Strassa said, I'm guessing your early days posts will look about the same), but you guys can speed up things.

If the "old guard" start posting in non-old guard threads, we might be able to fix some of the pet peeves.

About official threads, I really like 'em, it's fun to have a community that somewhat cares about the others players and what they are doing. If you think there are too much, there's no problem in limiting 'em to the big supers.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:33 PM

I know there are a few stickies up top already, but number of other boards have FAQs/posting guidelines, and I wonder if it might make sense to add it to the stickies?

All posts should:

- Use the converter (Link)
- Include original poster's thinking on the hand at each decision point.
- Include reads.
- Have a catchy title that makes MLG chuckle.
- Not give the results explicitly or implicitly
- Not ask whether to fold AA pre-flop.