Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Ethics Question

So I am sitting in a 5-10 blinds Pot Limit game when the following situation comes up. There is a player in the ten seat who is great action. He is terrible, but he has sucked out a few times and has a ton of chips at the moment. Anyway, he raises out of the BB and gets two callers. The flop comes K 7 8 with a flush draw, and he bets the pot and is called only by the button.

Now, the turn comes an offsuit 4 and the action player once again leads out for a pot sized bet (which was $375- 125 preflop plus a called flop bet). After about 30 seconds the button says "I raise the pot." Before the dealer announces the amount, the action player quickly says "call."

Now, he is supposed to call the 375 and raise 1125 for a total of 1500. Instead, the dealer screws up and somehow tells the button to put in 1125 (375 + 750). He does, and the action player calls the incorrectly sized raise.

Finally, the river brings the flush card and it goes check-check. The button flips over 5 6 for a straight (horrible river check but thats not the point). He is awarded the pot.

Immediately after being given the pot, button overhears a regular in the game point at the dealer and whisper to another player "you see that [censored], thats why you have to pay attention." Button quickly realizes that there was an error that cost him some money but decides to say nothing because he doesnt want to chase the fish and he assumes it is his responsibility to make sure the pot is right.

Three questions:

1. What do you think of the player who clearly saw the error in progress and did not say anything about it?

2. Was the button correct to just let it go?

3. Should the dealer be reported, and how serious of an error is this?

(crossposted in NVG)
Old 07-06-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Ethics Question

From what I understand it is the players responsibility to know what the pot is. Of course PL games are rare anymore, so you'll probably get a couple different opinions.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. What do you think of the player who clearly saw the error in progress and did not say anything about it?

[/ QUOTE ]
If he isn't in the pot speaking up would be a violation.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Was the button correct to just let it go?

[/ QUOTE ]
For a real good fish? You betcha!

[ QUOTE ]

3. Should the dealer be reported, and how serious of an error is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a simple mistake. Besides, its hard to find even near compentent dealers these days.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? The players at the table have a responsibility to ensure the game is played correctly. This includes: making sure the bets are correct, making sure the correct hand wins at showdown (i.e. reading the board), preventing cheating/collusion, etc. If the dealer screws up the bet size, another player can and should correct him.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? The players at the table have a responsibility to ensure the game is played correctly. This includes: making sure the bets are correct, making sure the correct hand wins at showdown (i.e. reading the board), preventing cheating/collusion, etc. If the dealer screws up the bet size, another player can and should correct him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I have a responsibility to ensure a smooth game? That sort of seems like the houses job. As to the bet size, if I'm in the pot you're damm straight I'll see the bet sizes are correct, otherwise I'm interfering in someone elses pot.

What you're telling me is that I have to spend all of the enegry necessary to know how everyone is playing, pick my bet sizes (I'm NL, not PL), read hands, maintain my focus, beat the game! AND PLAY SHERIFF!?!

Now I have (and will) stop a pot from going to the wrong player, but other than that there is a rule in every set of poker rules I've seen:

ONE PLAYER TO A HAND.

You, however, seem to think it is a silly rule and therefore may ignore it at will. Well, other than the potential disruption this may cause, I supose its OK by me. The more enegry you spend not playing poker, the better the game will be for me.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:13 AM

If I was pretty sure the fish had the best hand I would correct the dealer as to the size amounts.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was pretty sure the fish had the best hand I would correct the dealer as to the size amounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I thought I was being vicious!
Old 07-06-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I have (and will) stop a pot from going to the wrong player, but other than that there is a rule in every set of poker rules I've seen:

ONE PLAYER TO A HAND.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always interpreted this rule as players can't take advice from others at or around the table when making a decision.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

ONE PLAYER TO A HAND.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always interpreted this rule as players can't take advice from others at or around the table when making a decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could go that way. However, my primary point is that I worry about my own game and if I see someone make a mistake, it tells me something about how they play and how I can beat them. I'm in this to win first and enjoy myself second. Being a table captian just ain't on the list.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

ONE PLAYER TO A HAND.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It could go that way. However, my primary point is that I worry about my own game and if I see someone make a mistake, it tells me something about how they play and how I can beat them. I'm in this to win first and enjoy myself second. Being a table captian just ain't on the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very different from telling Jeff A. that by correcting the size of the pot when he is not in a hand that he is violating a written rule.